Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is their something wrong with my avocado seeds???

Posted by Chris538 none (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 6, 11 at 2:02

I am attempting to grow some avocados which have been in water now for about 10 days or so. I started to notice that some had these little red bumps and the other had little white bumps on the top. Can anybody tell me what these are?? Are my avocado seeds going bad?

Here are pictures:

http://i.imgur.com/wqSnA.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/BoXqr.jpg

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is their something wrong with my avocado seeds???

ITS BEEN 10 DAYS SINCE YOU POSTED ....YOU TELL US WHAT HAS OCCURED WITH THE AVOCADO

o

I usually use a cheese grater on the base of the seed to help break through the hard seed shell and allow only the base that has the pale seed touching the water in a cup like your using.

o

I grew an avocado from seed that I ate from the store. I put it in peat and top soil 50/50 mix waited 2 weeks under a clamp lamp with an incandescent bulb and 3 flourescent tubes and had me a nice 5 inch seedling! I soaked the seed in warm water for 5 hours and peeled off the outer layer, worked for me at 80 degree F.

o

I recently started one in water as well. It took about a month and a half before any activity, but now there's a root just now poking out. Be patient, it will happen!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here