Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Italian Parsley Seeds!

Posted by rosessecretgarden (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 29, 10 at 3:33

My friend has a bed of Italian Parsley. She needs to know how to gather the seed heads? When is the exact time to gather these seeds?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Italian Parsley Seeds!

after the head turns brown.... & has a chance to dry on the plant.... Will lose some of the seed but should have more than enough to start new bed + re-seed old one

o

Parsley is a biennial and does not set seed the first year. If it is located in well-drained conditions, and the crown doesn't rot over the winter, then it will over-winter. It blooms in umbels of little flowers and sets seed the 2nd year. I've got 1 flat-leaf and 1 curly plant that over-wintered from last year. They are seting seed now and it is easy to tell when they're ready. The seed heads turn brown and the seeds will come loose from the seed head.

o

Terrene, I have flat parsley and was going to ask the same question about harvesting the seeds. Are you saying I should just leave the plant in my garden over the winter. I live in Pennsylvania (Northeast area). Or, should I gather the seeds when the flowers turn brown.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here