Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dwarved plants/not growing?

Posted by xenofenix La/ Zone 9 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 17, 10 at 7:34

Before planting, I had mixed a mixture of Peat Moss and Topsoil, no fertilizer added. This particular area gets morning-noon sun and no evening sun. It contains a lot of water due to not having gutters. Plants will grow closer to the edge but will NOT grow anywhere else, they remain small and eventually die. I'm not sure what's going on? I'm not saying its ridiculously wet, but it does hold moisture for a long time due to not being able to go anywhere else.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dwarved plants/not growing?

1) fertilizer (Nitrogen) neeeded for growth
2) choice of plants important
3) peatmoss retains water
4) plants get oxygen through the roots ... water reduces pore space & therefore the amount of oxygen avaible to the roots. hence poor growth & death
5) sand. perlite. gypsum, increase pore space & improve drainage
5) wet soil promotes fungal growth & root rot etc...

o
RE: Dwarved plants/not growing?

Thank you!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here