Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
orcascove

Scarlet Runner Bean and Purple Hyacinth Bean Vine

Orcascove
15 years ago

I can't seem to get either of these to sprout. It is now July and I'm in Zone 6 Columbus Ohio. Not sure if I even have time left for them to grow this year, but can someone please tell me how to get them started? I have tried wintersowing, just planting the seed directly, and the soak and nick methods. Still nothing. I would like very much to add these both to my yard every year, but have no luck getting them started. Any and all help would be appreciated.

Comments (6)

• georgez5il
    15 years ago

Scarlet Runner... a warm season plant no pretreatment not good for winter sowing. soil temp 65-70F takes 65-70 days from germination to fruit set.

• Orcascove
    Original Author
    15 years ago

georgez5il - thanks for a response, I'm guessing then that the scarlet runner beans I got in trade are not any good, because I have tried planting them 5 different times, 4 of which were not Wintersowing, and still nothing. I am beginning to Think the hyacinth bean are bad too, because just like the scarlet I have had no luck at all. Perhaps I need to find another source for both seeds. Thanks again!!

• flying_wahini1955
    15 years ago

The purple hyacinth beans need to be very plump before
    they are picked from the vine, otherwise there is nothing
    there. I have planted year old beans in the soil and have had no problems getting them to come up. I suspect your beans may have been harvested too soon. Of course,
    I removed them from the pod, too.

• flora_uk
    15 years ago

Runner beans will rot if too wet. I sow them indoors in April or outdoors in late May and water only sparingly. Do not presoak as they risk rotting. Don't winter sow. They need warmth. If you can get them started it may be possible to get a crop as they grow very fast in warm conditions. Mine started cropping about three weeks ago and it's been about 60f here. No way has the soil been 65 - 70! You could also consult the legumophiles on the Bean, pea and legume forum.

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Purple Hyacinth Bean: I was able to germinate 5 year old seed of these and the green hyacinth bean. I used the paper towel/coffee filter method to do it. They were easy and quick to germinate.
    I would say you have bad beans. Get new ones and try it again. These are easy seed to germinate. ALSO, mine germinated in an unheated room in March. After they germinated they were placed in a pot and then kept warm until planting outside.

:) Fran

• landscapefanatic
    13 years ago

I have had four successful Hyacinth Bean Vine seasons, but with one discovery. The beans I planted and shared kept in paper bags all were great producers. The beans put in zip locks that I shared did not grow well and some not at all. My conclusion was that the beans do not like to be kept air tight.