Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carsond2704

Red Yucca seed help?

carsond2704
9 years ago

About 2-3 months ago, I was at my little brother's baseball game and the baseball complex had hundreds of red yucca plants. I went exploring and found one dried up seed pod that had burst and dispersed the seeds, so I picked them up off the ground. I had maybe 15-20 seeds. When I got home, I plated them in cacti and succulent soil and just barely spread a bit of soil on top. Nothing happened within the next few months so I kind of forgot about them, thinking they'd take up to a year to sprout. Just two weeks ago I left for vacation, and when I got back, 4 of the seeds had sprouted! That was late Tuesday night, July 1st. I immediately wrapped the top of the pot in saran wrap and poked lots of holes in the wrap to keep humidity high and keep birds and squirrels out, as I have a big problem with them in my yard. My crassula portulacaria is almost completely gone because they snack on it all day. Later I decided to move the seeds inside in an East facing window that gets direct morning sun, and light shade the rest of the day. I also took the saran wrap off so that the soil could dry out more easily. But the soil is still not dried out! Should I put the saran wrap back on and move it back outside? I have it now in the same east facing window but under a desk lamp to help dry out the soil. Sorry this is so confusing, I just don't know where to keep the seeds and under what conditions. The only problem I have with keeping the saran wrap on is that it makes it very hard to water. I've attached a picture of my current set up.

Comment (1)