Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Good herb seeds to plant for cooking use

Posted by cherryblossom99 60805 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 20, 10 at 10:27

I am looking for very low maintenance herb seeds to plant for cooking. So far I have planted in the past: basil, which was good. Right now I have cilantro, dill, and parsley going. Parsley's definitely the winner with ease and amount produced. Dill is a little delicate but good. Cilantro "bolted" and is almost all flowers, oh well. I will not replant cilantro. What are other low maintenance herbs I can plant that are easy and DON'T involve a lot of re-planting often?

How are oregano, chives, and mint?

This is my 1st post, thanks! :-)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Good herb seeds to plant for cooking use

Chives are perrenials. If you find a spot in your garden for them you may never need to start them again. Pretty purple flowers in the spring.

Watch out for mint. It is very invasive and will take over. I like to plant mine in pots to prevent that.

Oregano, thyme, sage are all good, easy seeds to start. I like dill and cilantro, but you do need to "succession seed" them so you have a few new plants around. Rosemary is also good. You can overwinter it in a pot inside if is not hardy in your zone. I have a sweet bay that started as a seedling and is now quite a shrub - I bring it inside every winter.

The biggest question is what do you cook? If you're not going to use the herbs, it doesn't matter if they are easy to grow. I find it most rewarding to plant the stuff I use every day.

BTW, there are a zillion different basils ... lots of fun to experiment! Have fun!

o

Hi Susan, thanks for commenting.

I didn't know chives were perennials, that's great.

I forgot to mention - oops - that I was interested in indoor container planting for now. I have outdoor plants and pots but I wanted herbs I could use all year long inside.

I may try oregano, sounds good. And maybe rosemary. I am zone 5.

I cook Italian, Chinese, American everything. Yea, I am only interested in herbs I will use.

Thanks.

o

Maybe you want to try lemongrass? Also Thai Basil. It's sometimes fun to grow the stuff that is a special trip to the store!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here