Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Propagation Lighting

Posted by sandhill_farms 10 NV (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 27, 10 at 11:18

Well, instead of building a dedicated structure I've decided to instead start my seedlings in the house. Don't tell my wife, she doesn't know it yet. Anyway, I have numerous (4) foot shop lights in storage and I was wondering what tubes I should use? I'm not really a cheap person but money is rather tight these days so I don't want to spend a fortune if I can help it. I know they do have grow lights available, are these better than regular tubes? BTW...I've always direct seeded so that's why I'm not familiar with propagating under lights. Thanks!

Greg
Nevada

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Propagation Lighting

No You don't need grow lights. What you need is 1 cool light(blue) tube and 1 warm light(yellow) tube. That gives you the full spectrum of light. Have your lights on chains that can be raised and lowered, so you can keep the light 2 inches above your plants. If you are doing it in a cool basement a plastic cover will keep the heat close to the plants at night. Be sure to open it in the daytime though so you get air circulation to keep away damp off

o

Thanks for your reply, oilpainter I appreciate it.

Greg
Nevada

o

Greg,

Don't go with the warm light - seedlings need veg light, not flowering. Cool lights provide all the spectrum needed. And I don't keep the lights 2" above the plants but closer to 1/2".

JMO, but I grow about 600-800 seedlings a year.

Mike

o

I bought the chrome wire shelves that are four feet wide and two feet deep. (I have them on locking casters if I need to move them, but they are not going anywhere.) I can fit 4 standard nursery flats on each shelf. I have 5 shelves, though the bottom one is used for supply storage. I hang two shop lights for each growing level (4 bulbs total per level) from the bottom of the upper shelf (height adjusted by chains), so, three growing levels (12 flats). (The shelves go just about to the ceiling.) I put in a long 15 outlet power strip with surge protector vertically on the wall so that I could easily connect and disconnect all the plugs for lights and mats and fans. I think it works really well as a self-contained area for propagation, and it looks pretty good too.

o

Thanks to everyone for your advice, I know how I'm going to go about this now.

Greg
Nevada

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here