Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peach seed-how to plant

Posted by sumacsista Ohio Zone 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 1, 06 at 12:36

Hi. #1 I've saved the seeds from some peaches we ate, and would like to plant them to grow my own peach trees. Should I just stick them in some potting soil, water and in the sun, or are there specifics.? The only problem is that they are peaches bought from GA. Do you think they probably wouldn't winter over here in Ohio once they get big enough to transplant outside one day?
#2 I have also saved watermelon seeds. Should I just save them in a ziplock bag til next year for planting, or what do you suggest? Thanks for all advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peach seed-how to plant

Prunus persica (Peach tree) is only hardy to about zone 7, so not much chance outside in Ohio. I don't know about this species, but most Prunus require several months cold stratification, and often several months warm stratification first.

Your best bet is to sow now and leave the pot outside to expect germination in spring. Before you sow, clean the seed thoroughly, then soak overnight in fresh water to remove all traces of the pulp.

o

If these are hybrids then you will have problems with the results. They won't resemble what you saved the seeds from. Seed saving is generally done if you grew a non-hybrid (open-pollenated) variety yourself.

Most peaches and other fruit trees are generally grown by grafting the desired variety onto a different tree which is less vulnerable to diseases and grows better in your climate. They grow one kind of tree, cut it off about 3 inches above the ground, and then grow a peach tree, cut off the roots, and graft the two together. You might have fantastic results with planting a peach pit, I don't know.

o

I live in central Texas and I have some fruit that I have eaten and saved the seed. I would like to know when to plant them. I have a peach,purple plum and a large apricot.
Thanks,
Kaye

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here