Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pods from wisteria

Posted by dovegreen_thumb Washington (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 31, 10 at 13:00

I have collected a pod from a wisteria tree/bush (not sure cuz it is wrapped around a big post like a climbing vine...) and I want to know how to start the pod so it developes into its own plant...it is about7 inches long, brown, fuzzy, has several seeds inside, and is hard as a rock...please tell me how to start this amazing plant.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pods from wisteria

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 31, 10 at 13:50

Wisteria are vines.

The wisteria pods are ripe when dark brown, pick and put into a paper sack. Don't wait too long to bag them, because the pods literally explode when time is right to disperse the seed and you'll be picking up seeds from far corners. They will germinate in about 30-60 days if you nick, soak in hot water, then sow at approx 65F.

Now the bad news. Wisteria from seed can commonly take from 10-15 years to bloom, seed grown plants most often used for root stock for grafting. You'd be happier going shopping, or taking cuttings...softwood, hardwood and layering cuttings all work well.

o

Not the OP but I was wondering if you personally have rooted cuttings and what your method and success rate was.

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 6, 10 at 10:47

Stormy, I'm not sure my experience will help you with our climates so different...

My success with cuttings of any plant can be hit or miss but I've had good luck with wisteria taking semi-hardwood cuttings in late August, dusting with rooting hormone, leaving them outdoors over winter....in this mild maritime area that works for many woody plants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here