Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
marigolds

Posted by kayenta none (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 16, 13 at 14:23

Hello,

I had wonderful, big bloom marigolds in my greenhouse last year (several varieties from commercial seeds)
I saved the seeds and replanted them. Very few have produced flowers. About 90% have grown very big, look really healthy and lush but there are NO blossoms...or even buds. I found 2 or 3 that had small, stunted buds...less than a fourth the size that they should be. Do you think they cross-pollinated and are adversely affected? I thought cross-pollination might occur the SECOND year of seed saving...?
Any solutions?
Thanks!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: marigolds

They were probably hybrid seeds to begin with. The offspring would be very different with odd characteristics. Some may be nice if you give them a chance to flower.

o

Kayenta,

Cross pollination can happen any time you open pollinate.

Susan is spot on with hybrids. My large African hybrids I saved seeds from are not blooming either. I have had them take 12 weeks to bloom. Always a treat to see what you can get.

o

New to forum...I hope this response gets seen by the people who answered my question...
Thanks to you both for responding. I'll wait to see what happens!

o
RE: pink hydrangea

I remember I have another question:
I live in Colo. at about 7500 feet in elevation. Very warm during summer. I bought a pink hydrangea at a garden store and it did well for about a month...but now the petals have been starting to turn a dull yellow-green and it's getting worse.
I know the hydrangea only likes a bit of sun in the a.m; too much and it wilts. It's in a big pot so I can bring it in in winter.
Any ideas on what it need to be pink and healthy again? I have NOT fertilized it yet.

Thanks!!

o

How much water is it getting? A couple of mine started to do that after weeks of rain. A picture would help a lot. A lot of very knowledgeable people on here that will know when they see it.

o

Thank you, I took a pic but I can't upload it, for some reason. I'll try again at some point.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here