Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fall sowing in a bed with spring bulbs?

Posted by arylkin 5b (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 25, 13 at 14:41

I have a large garden bed that I'm going to tackle this fall, it's currently covered in rock mulch (good times!). My question is can I plant spring bulbs and then direct fall sow coneflower seeds? Will the seedlings have trouble germinating or growing if there's a lot of daffodil foliage in the way? Also, there's a small tree stump in the middle of the bed that the previous owners had cut down. Do you forsee problems planting seeds around the stump? Should I work on getting something to try to make it decompose faster (I think I saw some kind of liquid for sale in a garden center that was supposed to do that) or does it not matter.

This is our first house and my first year gardening, so I'd appreciate any wisdom you may have.

I've looked into winter sowing, but I think I'd much rather just direct sow if it will still be effective.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fall sowing in a bed with spring bulbs?

For what it's worth, I have daffodils planted with my coneflowers. The coneflowers don't grow where the daffodils are. They self-seed/thrive outside of each clump of daffs.

Termites, slime molds and pileated woodpeckers take care of my tree stumps over a period of many years till they disappear and leave a big hole in the ground. So plant away. It will be a while till the stumps are gone, but it's fun to watch nature take care of it.

Good luck with the rock mulch :O On the upside, it'll keep the tunneling rodents away if you work it into the soil a bit.

o
RE: fall sowing in a bed with spring bulbs?

• Posted by arylkin 5b, south of Chicago (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 28, 13 at 9:43

Thanks, that's good to know. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here