Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ficus Benjamina seed or cutting

Posted by Galasoneth 8 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 13, 13 at 14:50

Hello all,

I am wondering if there is much difference in growing a ficus from seed or from a cutting.

thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ficus Benjamina seed or cutting

Ficus are very easy from cuttings and that is the usual way of propagating them. Lots of hits on the web to tell you how to do it. I don't know where you'd even obtain seed. From seed you'd be waiting a lot longer for your new plant. Plus if it is a specific cultivar, eg a variegated one, seed will not produce the same as its parent.

o

florauk,

Thanks those where my concerns also. Now to find this plant to take cuttings.

I have been looking online to find seedlings but mostly found just seeds which is why I ask the question in the first place. Seems like a very versatile plant to play with.

o

Try posting on the Plant Exchange. I used to grow them when I lived farther south. I put a foot long cutting in regular soil. They grow like crazy. Be careful where you plant them if you are putting them in the ground. They have huge above ground roots.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here