Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
helgerquest

Harvesting Lupine

Helgerquest
12 years ago

Reccently I have been flagging white Lupine that I have seen growing on the roadside or in public areas. I only saw one of these plants last year, and despite my efforts, the one plant died a miserable death of aphids and snails. I saw no white plants in that area this year. (Actually the whole Lupine crop over there is lacking this year.)

Anyway, people have heard of my hunt for white lupine seeds, and recently someone found a branch of green lupine seed pods froma white plant and gave it to me. As kind of an act as this is, the seeds are not even close to ready yet. I was told "Well she is a member of the garden club". I don't care. From my experience you get green shriveled up seeds from plants who's pods are not yet dried and ripe. I am no expert though. I put the branch in water hoping the pods will continue to grow and ripen.

So... am I right in saying the seeds are not ready until the pods dry out and begin opening or is the other person right because she belongs to a local garden club???

And aphids struck again... even some of my flagged white flowers :(

Thanks.

Comments (5)