Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Starting seeds in the summer

Posted by lisam625 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 15, 13 at 14:58

Hi,
Brand new here so please excuse any common sense questions I may have.
We finally bought our first home this past May. I spent April and May getting my vegetable garden up and running. I started them from seen indoors and have had great results.
Now, Im looking around our blank canvas of a yard and want to plant perennials from seed. Cant afford to do it any other way! I prefer to plant them in peat pots instead of straight into the ground.
My questions are
# 1 ~ Where is the best place to put them? I have the room to put them outside in the garden shed or downstairs in our basement.
#2 ~ Do they need direct sunlight to sprout? or should I keep them out of the direct sunlight? If I keep them in the shed, I can move them in and out.
Here are some of the seeds I already have
Everlasting Pea

Virginia bluebells
Pampas grass (the pink feathery looking ones)
Primrose
Balloonflower
Foxglove
Lavendar

Or is it too late to start now and plant before fall?
Any help is appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Starting seeds in the summer

Basement. If you#re really serious about success, read up on growing under shoplights. It's a fun hobby. Peat pots are not good, though, for many reasons. Try to use plastic with drainage holes.

Plants need direct sun or have to be an inch away from lightbulb or they will be leggy. Read as much as you can on the subject. Most people start seeds in spring but you could start now in your zone. Plant them out asap to give them time to grow roots for winter.

o

thank you susanzone5. I did some research yesterday and saw how you can also use milk containers to start seeds. Im always looking to be thrifty... we are a family of 6 and im a stay at home mom. So.....now im looking around at all the plastic containers I could use. Like strawberry containers.

So you think the basement with lights is the best way to get good results. I'll definitely be looking into that. I would like to have a little indoor area for raising plants!!

Thanks!

o

Lisam625,

I agree, peat pots are terrible.

If it was me I would sow them where you want them right now. Two reasons for this. First you are in a pretty mild climate. I bet most would survive if mulched. Second, most perennials don't flower the first year. So those that make it through the winter will most likely flower for you next year. You probably have more seed than you need anyways so it won't really cost much to try. Foxglove usually has enough in the package to do a solid acre lol.

I then would set up the grow lights for growing more for next year!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here