Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Info on parents of hybrids

Posted by deanna_in_nh 5a/4b (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 20, 10 at 15:02

I'm saving seeds from hybrid plants. There are two pieces of information which are hard to find: (1) What parents produced the hybrids, and (2) whether or not the seeds are sterile.

Does anybody know a good resource that tells the parentage of the hybrid? I would just like to know because it's fun to have an idea of what the offspring might look like. I've visited the company sites of some of the hybridizers, and they don't seem to have the information available.

Secondly, if the hybrid can be grown from seed, does that always guarantee that the seed of the plant itself will also be viable? I know some hybrids are propagated only by cuttings, but if the hybrid comes from seed, how do we know if it will produced viable or sterile seed?

For anybody who can help, THANK YOU!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Info on parents of hybrids

There was just a discussion about this on the tomato forum (link below). See particularly, Carolyn's response. I don't know if they are as proprietary with other plants, of if this is particular to tomatoes. But it could explain why you can't find the information.

Here is a link that might be useful: Big Beef

o

Knowing the parentage will not help you.

Yes if a hybrid is grown from seed the seed will likely be viable, but you will never know what you are going to get especially if it is open pollinated. It may revert back to the parent. It may be like the hybrid or nothing like the parent or the hybrid. It may be like another species that was the pollinator. It may have been self pollinated or not at all and will produce small flowers or not be viable.

When growers produce hybrid seed, they are hand pollinated from a like species when the flower is in bud, and then covered with mesh bags so no insect can pollinate them. They are left until the seed falls into the bag.

If they are started from cuttings they will always be true because you are growing a piece of the original plant

o

As someone who works in the industry, I can tell you that the commercial breeders of hybrid flower seeds will NEVER disclose the exact parentage of their hybrids. That is proprietary info and closely guarded.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here