Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vreed01

Zenith Zoysia(Seeded Time Lapse) 2009.

vreed01
14 years ago

tilled lawn june 2 - june 21 2009. Cleaning out rock, weeds, everything. I added Sulfur because my soil test said PH was around 8. I did not add anything else to soil, just till it about 6 inches deep horizontal and vertically a few times. I planted zenith zoysia the 21st of June(First Day of Summer and Fathers day. Here is my time lapse. I live in Texas. I'm doing this because I have search the internet for this can of information and have not found it.

June 21 -

I received the seeds June 20. The seeds where planted June 21,2009. That day just happened to be FatherÂs day and the first day of the summer.)

{{gwi:246063}}

July 2 -

11 days (Small areas are showing signs of Zoysia sprouts. Sprouts are Right on schedule. IÂm watering 10 minutes at 6am, 10am, 1pm, 3pm, 5pm, and 7pm. I was not trying to over water the grass seed.)

{{gwi:246064}}

July 9-

18 days after planting seeds. (Right side is showing signs of growing while left side is slow. The left side seems to dry out faster. I also raked in new seeds in bare spots close to the sprinkler and by the tree.)

{{gwi:246065}}

July 16 -

25 days after planting. (More growth is showing on the left side. I turned the sprinkler to face that area and started watering 20 minutes at 6am, 10am, 2pm, 6pm and 8pm. Keep in mind; all of July has been about 102 or higher on average for the month. By the way, every evening I go out and get rid of weeds that are trying to sprout.)

{{gwi:246066}}

July 23-

32 days after seeding. (We finally got about an inch of rain between Monday and Tuesday 20th and 21st and for the last 6 days the temperature has been below 95 degrees.

Feels like Fall in Summer- Not Really!)

{{gwi:246068}}

July 24 grass growing in yard (hopefully it's Zenith zoysia)

{{gwi:246070}}

Comments (16)

• vreed01
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Grass has been growing for 40 days. The right side was growing over 2 inches so it was to time to cut it. I had been reading about reel mowers provides the better cut, so I bought a scotts elite 16 inch from Home Depot for $100 dollars. I like it. It's easy to use so far see below.

{{gwi:246071}}

{{gwi:246072}}

{{gwi:246073}}

Before using the reel mower.
    {{gwi:246074}}

After using reel Mower First cut Day 40.
    {{gwi:246075}}

Hopefully this is helping someone understand the process of growing zenith zoysia by seeds.

• ex-parte
    13 years ago

Do you have any close up picture of the zenith zoysia?
    Found one, but it almost looks like St.Augustine. http://huntland.com/images-zoysia/zenith-closeup-3734.jpg
    Thanks.

• johnb352
    13 years ago

What was the manufacturer of the seed?

• auteck
    13 years ago

Zenith Zoysia looks very much like Meyer Zoysia. I have seeded Zenith Zoysia seed into a Meyer Zoysia lawn to repair some disease damage and you can't tell the difference or where the Zenith or Meyer is.

At 3 inches tall and when well fertilized, it resembles Tall Fescue from the Curb and even upclose.

Meyer and Zenith Zoysia makes a very nice sod in the right climate.

Please keep posting pictures of the lawn as it matures and becomes more dense.

Good job on the renovation.

• keriann_lakegeneva
    13 years ago

Hi... and please dont laugh...

Being up here in the north I am not familiar with this type of seed for lawns.

What are the benefits besides looking like a beautiful lush green lawn?

Keriann~

• sleepy33
    13 years ago

Hey Keriann! Zoysia is great in hot, dry climates because it requires a lot less water than fescue. It forms a very thick, dense lawn that resists weeds. It doesn't grow as tall or as fast as fescue, so less mowing; it grows in runners rather than straight up. One drawback is that when it goes dormant (winter), it turns yellow straight away and stays like that until pretty deep into spring. I always notice in the fall, the older zoysia lawns go from green to yellow overnight, 100% yellow, and they are slower to green up in the spring than fescue lawns.

• keriann_lakegeneva
    13 years ago

Thanks Sleepy!

How is everything going down by you?

Are your plants huge and beautiful yet?

Kerian~

• sleepy33
    13 years ago

It is HOT down here! Been very rainy, too. Most everything is doing pretty well.

Some of the leftover wedding zinnias found their way into my garden...
    {{gwi:246077}}

Little begonias, all growed up!
    {{gwi:246078}}
    {{gwi:246079}}
    I really like this bicolor, double impatien, hope I can remember what seed pack they came from
    {{gwi:246081}}

How about you? Everything coming up roses (or corkscrew vines??)

• keriann_lakegeneva
    13 years ago

Oh... Yeah! I was just wondering about your begonias! How fun, you have giant blooms!

And bummer, I totally forgot about sending you some cork screw vines... I am so sorry.. I am such a scatter brain. With all the rain they are growing but not very fast. The warm weather the past few days have helped and they are now about 6 feet tall but pretty lame looking! Everything else is doing well, my petunias are pretty sad with all the rain and I am praying I don't get blight because of it. Favorite seedling so far is still my African Daisies, they are huge and full of blooms. My tuberous begonia blooms are almost 8" across, the are incredible!

Oh so nice hearing from you and your plants are looking great. One of these days I have to get my pictures all loaded up and share with ya'll. Pray for no more rain!

Keriann~

• sleepy33
    13 years ago

Oh that's ok, no worries; I really was just curious if they'd grow and bloom in a season or not. Still thinking I might get some seeds and try next year, I'm just enchanted with them.

My petunias have gone kind of nuts! I've finally just trimmed some of the pots about halfway back, they were getting so tall.

• jclyn39_comcast_net
    12 years ago

I noticed that you did not use pine straw. How did you keep the birds, squirrels, etc from eating the seeds?

• Daphne
    12 years ago

Would like to know this too. What type of cover did you use after planting your seed?

Also what brand (of seed)? I think that is most important but it was left out.

• isabella__MA
    12 years ago

Any updates on the lawn ? It must be fully established by now!

• Seed.World.USA
    11 years ago

Excellent Post!

Love the Time lapse photo's.

Hope you don't mind us using it for reference.

Here's a helpful link for Zoysia Grass Seeds.

Email me for coupons if interest free shipping / discounts etc.

info@seedworld.us

Thanks,
    Shane

Here is a link that might be useful: Zoysia Grass Seed

• ZoysiaSod
    9 years ago

Wow, no sidewalk. I like it. More grass, less concrete.