Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandhill_farms

Propagation Building?

sandhill_farms
13 years ago

Greetings, first post on this forum. Now that I'm retired I'm going to get back in to vegetable gardening full-time. In the future I'm going to have to propagate (from seed) a lot of plants, probably well over a hundred. I certainly don't have the room in the house so I'm looking for another means. I don't know if I'll have to build a small building or what.

How are good people doing it, I'd be interested in learning. Thanks for your help...

Greg

Nevada

Comments (5)

• yiorges-z5il
    13 years ago

a SMALL BUILDING IS A GOOD IDEA ..LOOK AT A "LEAN-TOO" (SP) USE A 5 YEAR PLASTIC TO COVER WITH A SOURCE OF HEAT TO KEEP THE AIR ABOVE 60f & THE SOIL AT 65-70f ... VENTALATION IS ALSO IMPORTANT ALONG WITH GOOD LIGHT ..... dURING THE SUMMER WHEN NOT IN USE REMOCE PLANTS, CLOSE UP THE LEAN-TOO & ALLOW HEAT TO REACH 105f ++++ THIS WILL HELP STERILIZE THE AREA FOR NEXT YEAR.

• sandhill_farms
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for your reply yiorges-z5il. What sort of lighting and heating unit is recommended. I don't want to spend a lot of money right now on something professional, just something that will function well. I thought of a space heater that I could hook-up a thermostat to would work. We don't get snow here and not too much freezing either. In fact we can grow year around. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Greg
    Nevada

• susan2010
    13 years ago

Someone on one of the forums here posted a link a while back to greenhouses made of old/reclaimed windows. Not only were they charming looking, they seemed pretty functional. If you're handy it might be something to investigate.

• oilpainter
    13 years ago

It seems to me you will have to be more concerned with too much heat as opposed to heating. Any structure you build need only be kept a few degrees above the freezing point, but will have to be cooled or opened up during the heat of the day so it doesn't get too hot.

I would suggest you investigate hoop houses on this website in greenhouses and garden structures. These are pieces of PVC water pipe covered with UV plastic sheeting. They will have to be built so you can roll back the plastic during the day. They are usually made over a raised bed. Don't make it too high, just high enough that your tallest plant doesn't touch the plastic.

I would also recommend you look at shade cloth and a minimum-maximum thermometer. This mini-max thermometer helps you with adjusting the temperature because it gives the hottest and coldest temperature since it was set.

• wordwiz
    13 years ago

Greg,

You can easily grow 144 seedlings in a 20"x40" area. Why buy a pile driver to push in a thumb tack?

Mike