Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
MURRAYA koenigii (curry leaf plant/tree)

Posted by ionized 8 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 26, 05 at 15:44

Here is some information that I and some of my correspondents have collected about starting Murraya Konegii (curry leaf plant/tree) from seed. Note that I have not tested any of this information. Note also that there are other threads on Gardenweb with some information. Please add anything that might help!

From an Ebay offer:

Family:Rutaceae. Common name: Curry leaf. Native to India. Large shrub to small tree. Pinnate leaves are used in many South Indian curries. Full sun or light shade. Fertilize with palm or citrus fertilizer to promote leaf production. Grows well in containers. Use a well drained potting mix. Can be grown outdoors in Southern California, South Texas and South Florida. Protect from freezing. Cover seeds 1/4 inch. Keep warm (above 75F). Seeds are fragile so handle with care. Seeds are shipped in moist peatmoss/coir mix and should be planted immediately.

From a commercial site:

If these seeds have any soft pulp attatched be sure to remove it and wash the seeds before planting. Wash the seeds with mild soap and water before planting. Be sure to use a well draining soil muixture and plant seeds at 3/4" depth. Requires bright light, warmth and high humidity. Do not keep the soil wet. Allow the soil to dry to 1/2" depth before watering again.

Also:
When the curry plant flowers and fruits, you see berries appearing at the very tips of the branches. The fruits are best plucked when they are half ripe or when fully ripe (See picture attached).

The fruits should never be allowed to dry, because the curry plant seeds in them lose their viability when they shrivel.

Peel the seed out of half ripe or fully ripe fruits by squeezing out the flesh before planting. The fruit around the seed may slow down germination. Seeds are best planted in seed raising mixture. They are planted very shallow and germinate in 10 days depending on temperature and germinate best with warm soil 70 to 80 F.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: MURRAYA koenigii (curry leaf plant/tree)

• Posted by Baci z10Ca (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 30, 05 at 8:47

Why dont you just plant a seed & see if it germinates? If it does, plant more. I know that sounds silly, but I am finding right now the soil is just at the right warmth that almost everything is germinating. Even unusual seeds that are old that I could never germinate in any other way are now germinating.
Unless it needs scarification or stratification, just plant one. If you wait too long viability may drop &/or you might not be able to overwinter a successful plant.

o

At my first opportunity last year I planted a few dozen seeds by simply stuffing the fruit into the soil at a shallow depth. I only got 10-20% germination rate. The plants are hard to come by, in my experience.

o

Sat, Jul 30, 05 at 17:19

Is this what you are trying to grow?

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

It still might be good to try another germination test. At least you got some germination. Some seeds are difficult to germinate, & seed quality is another matter. If you have older, shriveled, or poorly collected seeds they may be affecting your germination. It looks like from what you posted above, viability decreases with time. If seed quality is not a factor, maybe you need to develop your own method.

o

That looks like the plant I am growing, though it is difficult to tell with security from looking at a picture of the leaves. I have sent seeds to several people and we are trying to get a good germination rate. I think if someone would loan me a bird to process the seeds, it would be perfect.

o

Wed, Aug 3, 05 at 8:00

Hi Ionized

My guess it is curry leaf. I got it from an Asian market, & I am trying different methods of rooting leaf cuttings. They look like they are developing nodes, but I am not sure yet. I got about 20 for about 1.00 or 1.50, so if it works, it will cut down on costs. I mention this because if it is in season, you might check out your local Asian markets & get some to experiment with.
I have tried germinating curry plant from seed in soil before without success. If I find more of my seeds & find a good propagating technique, I will let you know. The problem is, when experimenting, you lose seeds in the process. I am guessing someone is growing it locally I just need to find a tree.
I think it takes four years from seed to fruit. At least you got 2, so if even if you are having problems you have still been successful. Since you were successful with at least 2, my guess is there may have been a problem with the seed viability.

o

After reading this thread I found 3 ripe fruits on my plant and I put them in a transparent plastic cup with drain holes in the bottom with just commercial potting soil kept it wet and I saw some green poking through one 6 days later and today ( 10 days later) I see the plant coming on that one. What is interesting is that this one seed was nice and large about half inch in diameter and had a green seed inside and the other 2 were small and had a white seed inside. So I wonder if this seed was self pollinated while the others did not. They are all from the same plant.
I had earlier stuck dried seeds in a pot and nothing happened so like the earlier posts said the viability is probably very short.

o

Thanks for the information and conjecture, Hlily. Recently, I have been thinking that my lack of success in the first year of fruiting and planting might have been due to the immaturity of the plants.

Did you remove the fruit from the seed before you planted them? It sounds like it since you made observations of the seed color. When I removed the fruit from seeds, I found that they were a quite attractive, mottled green and white.

o

Yes I just removed the pulpy fruit and planted the seed which like you said was 3/4th white with 1/4 green on top. The 2 that did not germinate were very small and completely white.

o

I removed the pulp around the seed, washed it and soaked it for more than 6 hours and then potted them with mixture of potting mix and sand (50/50). With a very good direct sunlight, warm temp. and water every other day germination current success rate is 70%. I received around 10 seeds and most of them are germinating. I want to thank Peter Kulakoshy for sending me seeds. I have pictures of the plant growth from the seeds and I will send it if anyone wants.

o

I have curry leaf stem rooting but it has suffered from leaf drop and now only two leaves are clinging to the stem. Does anyone have any thoughts that might help this stem make it through this critical period? The root seems to be developing well but I seem to have a problem keeping the humidity properly adjusted. At least I think that is what the problem might be.
Also, Iononized was working in Katrina's path and I haven't heard from him since. Please keep him and the community in your hearts. Hopefully, he and his family are well.

o

Sat, Sep 3, 05 at 9:09

Curryleaf, I am also trying to root stem cuttings. I have experienced leaf drop also. I have some placed in the shade in the ground that appear to be taking. The area that they are in has a higher humidity. What kind of media are you using? If you have roots developing, it sounds like you are already successful. How long did it take for your cutting to develop roots?
Thanks.

o

I am using a mixture of potting soil and perilite for the media. This morning the last two leaves dropped off the stem. Yesterday I went to Santa Clara, where I know they sell fresh leaves, and bought several more packs so I have another supply to work with. After about three weeks I could tug on the stem and feel a slight resistance. This became stronger each week but without the leaves, it can't survive. I kept the stem about six before the last leaves fell off today.
Still nothing from Ionized who started this thread. I do hope he is well in New Orleans.

o

I am fine and staying with relatives in IL. Alas the plants are probably under water. I saw some aerial photos of my home, but it is difficult to tell how deep the water is. I don't know if I will have a job there in the future. Thanks for the thoughts, but others need your help and prayers more than I. So far the response has been very inadequate in its speed.

o

Mon, Sep 5, 05 at 7:28

Thanks, curryleaf. So far, planting mine in the soil appears to be working, but I am still experimenting. I have read leaf propagation is possible, but have found no instructions. Leaf drop definitely does occur. I am planting mine as deep as possible to hopefully help things along. I also need to get more leaves if they are still in season. By the way, chopsticks are great for making the planting hole. My Korean neighbor taught me that.

Ionized, I am so sorry to hear that you have been a part of this great tragedy, but I am glad you have a place to lay your head. If we go back & forth on this thread please do not think us inconsiderate of what you have gone through. If at some point in time you are able to return to growing maybe by then we will have trees. I will be happy to send some at that point. Sometimes seed saving can be a mindless diversion amidst a bad situation. If you should come up with a wants list, please let us know.

o

Hi Ionized! I was so happy to hear from you. Although we haven't met I was very concerned as you are a generous and good hearted person. It sounds like you might need some comfort food. Did you know you can order good Cleveland pierogies online? I have many, many questions but I know you have more important things to work on so I'll restrain myself for the moment.
I do hope your employer can keep the business together. I felt a little comfort when I read about some of your work. Late at night, when I can't sleep because of pain, it is nice to know that someone, somewhere is trying to help.
I agree with Baci that as soon as we have a plant or seed to share with you, you will be the first to get them. I do shutter to think of what your plants are "swimming" in now. Like Baci, just let us know what you need and it will be there.
You are well educated and I'm sure that if you need to find a new job, you will not have a problem. If you want to trade Katrina for earthquakes, check out bayareajobs.com.
Since I bought a lot of curry leaves last week, I did put some of them in oil and then in the freezer as you suggested. They seem fine that way. Keep in touch when you are able to and Baci and I will have some friendly competition to see who can keep our sad stems alive the longest.

o

Tue, Sep 6, 05 at 8:26

Curryleaf, what is the oil & freezer trick, & what does it do? Also, do you know of other varieties of curry leaf besides murraya koenigii? Ever heard of Chalcas Koenigii?
Thanks.

o

Hi Baci,
There really isn't a trick. I keep my fresh leaves in a plastic bag in the refrig. with all the air pushed out. This will keep them for a week or two. But, as I found out you can also keep the air away from the clean leaves by placing them in a container and covering them with oil and then just pop them in the freezer. The oil will turn white but the leaves are just fine. When you are ready to cook your dosa or what ever, just scoop as many out of the oil as you want and into the hot pan. Any good Italian will tell you to keep garlic, or to make garlic flavored oil, all you need to do is to put the garlic in oil. Same idea. Take care.

o

Thendral,
I don't have any now but if you post again in this forum next spring I may have some and can send it to you. I am in zone 5 and it is already too cold now to plant them.

o

I followed the combined instuctions found above: waited until sesds turned at least half bluish black, popped the inside seed from the soft surrounding flesh (very intense aroma of curry leaf), washed the mostly green with white seeds with dishwashing detergent, (just following orders)
rinsed well, planted each in small connected peat pots with african violet soil, not too deep, set 50 peat pots
in a roasting pan (someone else will have to do the turkey)
watered well daily, keeping the soil damp, but not drenched and voila in 10 to 12 days up they popped, so very delicate, but durable. Since I planted seeds continually, as they matured on my tree, I still have several just poking through the dirt. I currently have 54 sprouts. At least one quarter of the seeds produce two sprouts. Only one is branched. I've nipped the terminal growth on 6 or so to see if that will initiate branching since the murraya koenigii seems to be inelegantly unbranching. I live in the Palm Springs area which might explain the absolute necessity of keeping the plants moist, since letting them dry out before watering again might be a mistake. I've located this experiment under a latticed pergola, allowing somewhat reduced direct sunlight. I have three "trees" already growing. I received them at the same time, late last summer. One was about 10" tall with a slightly woodied stem about 1/4" in diameter, the other two were significantly smaller and much more immature. I plantd the "mother" in huge pot in direct sun surrounded by basil, so when it needs water (because of the high mineral content of the water the irrigation is constantly plugging up) the basil wilts and I rush in with hose. The second I planted in the earth, slightly in the shade and the third I planted is another huge pot slightly in the shade. The two in the shade are much more attractive have beautiful leaves, but the mother had flowers and berries and leaves still taste good. It's a fun process, thanks for all your advice. nikerino

o

Fri, Oct 14, 05 at 4:56

Since this is at the top again, just want to post I figured out how to root stem cuttings. When I put the cutting (minus the lower leaves) in dense moist soil & placed them in the shade the leaf drop stopped. If you can not get the seeds, you might look in an Asian market for stem cuttings.

o

My home has been totally destroyed and most heart-warming possessions inside of it. We have pretty good insurance coverage, I think. The adjuster has totaled the house, he said. We have yet to get official word from the company. Rebuilding is unknown. I hope that we do not have to wait years for the politics to work themselves out to plan for the property. We have to find a new work location since our laboratory building is closed. It is a lot harder than for office space. I have a job, and my wife has a job, but we need a place to live

One bright, unexpected event is some of my curry leaf plants. I had the biggest ones in the garage with some seedlings and the yearlings. All perished. I put a window box-shaped planter in the kitchen with some seedlings. Even with 7 feet of water in the house about 4 of the 30 or so plants survived to today. It must have floated partly. The live plants are all at one end, and not happy. Some have dropped leaves and died since I brought them outside. It will be some years before I have fruit again. Maybe I will try some cuttings in the spring.

Thanks, everyone for your words of support.

o

Hi currryleaf,
Can u tell me where in santa clara u got these cuttings? I live in sacramento.. I want to have a curry leaf plant..
Thanks

o

Hi, I buy my stems at India Cash and Carry on El Camino Real in Santa Clara. Sorry for the delayed response but our computer has been down for a few weeks. What a great surprise to find that Inonized had let us know how he and his family are doing. Very sorry about the house but good to know the people are well. Keep us updated and let us know wheter there is anything we can do to help. I'm sure the hassles with insurance and government will be a challenge. I'll try ordering some seeds from one of the companies on line but it isn't nearly as fun and personal as getting them from a real person. My stems didn't make it again. They seem to do well for about two months and then die off. I make a soup called rasam which is like a spiced up tomato soup and the leaves add a nice flavor when dropped in the last few minutes of cooking. I like to store some in the freezer and keep some fresh ones for other than frying.

o

Hi Ionized,

I haven't been to this site in quite a while & was stunned to hear about your loss... I'm so sorry. I'm glad that you have family in IL though; I'm also glad that some of your curry plants survived. Thanks to your generousity of seeds back in the spring I have 15 curry babies - not bad out of 17 seed. They seem to be doing well so far. I have them in a little potting shed that has a greenhouse window in it. They haven't grown with leaps & bounds but they are about 6" tall now and seem to be healthy.

I pray that everything works out with your insurance company & please know that you are in my prayers. We got hit here in Central Louisiana when Hurricane Rita came through but didn't experience near the devastation that you guys have did.

Many blessings,
Beth

o

I bought seeds from Pacific Tropicals LLC in Hawaii last summer and I had great success with the seeds, 90% germination. Last year I bought seeds from Banana Tree and the seeds were dried and got 0% germination.

o

I've had a couple of requests in the last week. There will be no seeds any time soon. My home was under 7 feet of water. All of the mature plants, the yearlings and seedlings that I had in the garage died. They do not appear to like being submerged for weeks on end. It appears that one planter that I had in the house with 30 seedlings floated and three plants survived. It will be three or more years before they bear fruit if I have a place to grow them when they get big.

o

Hi All--I am new to this site. I desperately need some help on figuring out next steps regarding my curry leaf plant. I moved the plant (potted), about 3 years old, and about 2.5 feet high (originally very lush and beautiful), to a spot in my kitchen about 6 feet away from its original spot by the window, and heater grate. The feeling was it was likely to get too much heat and not enough light where it was sitting. Anyway, after I moved it, it appears to have gotten sick. The leaves began to droop for about 2 weeks, and I hastily moved it back to its original spot by the window. That did not stop it from drooping, and the leaves were falling fast and furious too. Looked like the plant was simply dying.

yesterday I cut all of its branches, and left about 6-8 inches of the stem (trunk). It is bald right now--and I am worried about whether it will grow back at all. So here are my questions:
1) Has anyone encountered anything like this before?
2) What is the solution? (other than what i have done). I live in Northern CA-Zone 10a
3) Does anyone recommend the following website for seeds? http://www.tradewindsfruit.com/curry.htm
4) Any other suggestions to determine whether my plant will grow back?
5) In all these years I have not had any fruit or seed grow on it, but did have a root plant emerge appr 2 years ago-which I cut and gave a friend. Am I doing something wrong? What can I do to ensure it thrives even better in the future?

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Curries

o

Dear curries, why don't you just move the plant outside. I live in southern Calif. and have it growing outdoors. Doesn't really need that much care. Just don't overfertilize it; I nearly killed mine last year by doing that.

o

I would love to get my hands on some seeds. Anybody know where I can order some for dispatch to Europe?

o

hi can anyone tell me where i can buy curry seeds or plants thank you
nancy

o

Still waiting to hear some news from Ionized, but in the mean time I just received our order from Kartuz Greenhouses in Vista CA. The two curry plants are about 6-7" tall and arrived in very good condition. They seem to have plenty in stock. If you are still checking in Ionized, let us have an update as you are not forgotten.
www.kartuz.com

o

Hi

I live in Fremont, California and I had planted a curry leaf tree this summer. I want to know if the plant will survive the winter and what I could do to help the plant live thru the cold.

o

• Posted by alan Pensacola, fl (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 17, 07 at 4:33

What zone will they survive in? I have read they will handle light frost and they won't. I'm addicted to curry!!!!

o

Hi, Could someone please advise me regarding optimum pH of the soil for curry leaf plant. Thanks

o

Hello,

I know this is not a good time of year to be planting seeds, but the grower insists that the seeds are still viable. I will get 7 seeds on Tuesday. I was wondering if it would help germination to put the small planter I am going to use to try and start them on top of a heating pad. It's the heating pad that my cat uses in the winter!Everywhere I read, it says warm soil, and our current temps are min 16C, max 23C (roughly min 64F,max 76). Problem with this is there would be no direct sunlight as I would have to do it indoors.

Thanks!

ashita

o

I recently bought 4 seeds from TradeWindsFruit.com, and all 4 germinated just fine, however, now after a week or two I'm seeing them start sending up a second shoot.

I have searched many websites but can only find one mention of this, and I don't know if it's a good/normal thing, or if I should pinch it off so the plant puts it's energy in the first shoot.

Any ideas?

thanks!
David

o

Hello Everyone,
I'm to this site and new to the care of the infamous Murraya Konegii Curry Leaf Tree. I have recently purchased one on e-bay and need to know what is the best way to ensure that it flourishes. We cook Indian food all the time and I had no way to purchase curry leaves. We moved from Chicago to a VERY remote town in Oklahoma. If anyone can help me it would be wonderful!!! My husband is from INDIA and 95% of the food we eat requires those blessed leaves :0)

o

Hi Clujnapa,

Since you are in zone 7 thought i could chip in.

I acquired a 5yr old curry leaf plant from an American friend and almost killed it initially by transplanting it in a pot without any drainage hole ( being a novice gardner, then!)

It has now been with me for 1 1/2 yrs and is doing just fine. I infact recently pruned one of its branches to make it more evenly shaped and the branch that i pruned has already started sending out new shoots.

Just make sure the plant stays indoors till spring in an area that gets ample sun. My friend who gave it to me has often reiterated that i could 'harvest' its leaves freely and should not worry about it getting bald and it will send out new shoots / leaves. I water it once every week at most a 1/4 gallon. Ever since I adopted it all that i did was transplanted it in a larger pot using regular potting soil. Apart from that i have not used any fertilizer or any other for of special care and for the 1 1/2 years that it has now been with me it seems to be doing fine.
Hope this helps...

o

Wondering if anyone from BayArea had luck planting curry leaf in the gound?

If so, can you share the care that needs to go in that?

Thanks
Amitha

o

I got my plants many years ago from www.logees.com . They are also available from www.bhatia-nurseries.com
I will have seeds for trade in the fall. If you buy seeds, just make sure they are very fresh. Murraya koenigii does not like to be transplanted. I have only repotted mine once in the last 10 years. I wait till the soil is dry before I water it, at which time I give it a copious drink.

o

Hi,
Could somebody tell me whether I should use a plastic container of terracotta(I personally prefer plastic so that I can move it easily)to grow curry plants. Also what size would be ideal. And what soil should we us. Is Supersoil(from hoemdepot) fine?

Thanks,
Srividya

o

Hi All,
I recently bought a curry leaf plant from Pacific Tropical gardens. It is really healthy and about 16" tall with 24 leaflets. I do see new leaves appearing too. Now I would like to pinch the top to promote branching. Is that right at this point. Or should I wait for the plant to grow few more inches. Need suggestions please.

Thanks.

o

Charul,

You can buy curry leaf plants from this site:

http://www.bhatia-nurseries.com/

Anil

o

Thanks to the information given by Ionized in the first email of this thread, I was able to achieve very good germination rate. I have about a dozen seedlings emerging from the seeds I started.

Anil

o

Hi,

I live in Gilbert, AZ. Could someone please tell me where can I buy a plant or some seeds.

Appreciate your help. Thanks.

o

Hi All,
My murraya koenigii (curry plant) is around 32" tall and is in a 5 gallon plastic container. The plant started shooting suckers a few months back. Now the suckers are between 10" - 3" and I can see few poking from the soil. Could somebody tell me how to take it off the mother plant and plant it in a different pot. Can i keep the baby plants(potted) next to the mother plant or do i need to move it shade. I remember seeing it discussed earlier in one of the topics, but couldn't locate now.
Also, Do I need to move my plant to a bigger pot? I've read somewhere that once it start shooting suckers, it needs to be moved to a bigger pot. Pls. advice.

BTW, currently my plants are receiving partial sunlight(Morning 8 - 10 and evening few hours or so).

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,

Vidyaa

o

• Posted by curryman San Francisco Bay A (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 17, 10 at 22:46

Vidyaa, When you remove suckers, please be very careful. People have said their mother plant was affected while removing suckers. My plant is about 12 feet tall now. I moved it to a 10 gallon tree pot when it was 36 inches, and planted inground 3 years later. Now it does not give out suckers.
The baby plants thrive in sunlight. However, if the temp goes over 80 degrees and no breeze, please move them to a shade during late afternoons. I have cultivated about 50 small plants from seeds and so far they are all in sunny area. Plan to move them indoors during winter.

o

I ordered some seeds from Fruit Lovers Nursery on July 7 and have not received them. Has anyone else ordered from them? I sent them an e mail and did not receive a response. (Wish I was in SF, my daughters live there. Besides I heard it was 56 this morning).

o

I'm looking for seeds or preferably small plants. Anybody know where I can get them in the Bay Area?

o

hi All,
I am looking for a curry leaf plant after trying to grow it from seeds several times. i would be happy to send some lemongrass or tulsi plants in exchange. i have Rama and Krishna tulsi varieties.

Thanks
Sucheta

o

I finally got my curry leaf tree seeds from Fruit Lovers Nursery and they all sprouted!!! I have them outside because it's still hot here in Oklahoma but will have to bring them in soon. Has anyone else grown them inside under lights? Can I put a light source under my kitchen cabinet? What kind? They like the heat I know, but there is not all that much room under kitchen cabinets.

o

Hi,
Thanks to all the people who take efforts and time to help novice gardeners like me. I live in the Bay area in California (Zone9) and I have a curry plant in a pot which is about 3-4 years old and almost 5 feet tall now. I would appreciate if you can suggest me what organic fertilizer I should use for my plant. Some people have mentioned lime. Where can I get it and how much and how often should I use?
During winters I have been bringing my plant inside because I definitely dont want to loose it. Since the plant is bigger now, can I plant it into the ground this year and cover it with something like frost cloth during winters (we do get frost)? Also, when is the best time to transplant? Any other suggestions? I am very sensitive about this plant and dont want to do something that will kill it.
Regards,
Rach

o

Just some notes for you trying to overwinter. Rach, did your plant produce fruit yet? If so, plant the seeds! I write this because it seems to me that the smaller plants tolerate stress better.

Winters are not that tough here no South LA, but it does freeze sometimes. I think when it gets cold or dry, the plants go into their dry season response and can drop most or all of their leaves. The smaller plants don't seem to have as much problem according to my limited observations.

If you bring them inside to a dry environment, mist them and put clear plastic (trash) bags over the plants to keep the humidity up while letting the light through.

o

Hi Ionized, Thanks for your tips. Yes, my plant has seeds which are still greenish. Will try to plant them once they start turning black. It will be good to have a few seedlings since I use this leaf for my cooking. Do you use citrus fertilizer and how often?

o

I am afraid that I use just whatever inexpensive soluble fertilizer that I can find and put it on several times during the summer.

Don't be afraid to let the fruit get good and ripe. Keep in mind that birds live them so cover them with some netting when they start to ripen.

o

Hi Curruman,
Thanks for the response. I have a 10+ gal plastic pot(self watering one) will this do?

Vidyaa

o
RE: MURRAYA koenigii(curry leaf plant/tree)

Hi All,
Anybody have any idea whether i can use a 10 gal self watering pot for my plant which is over 31/2 years old.

Thanks in advance,

Vidyaa

o

Hi,

I am new to gardening and have a curry leaf plant that about 10 inches tall that i got from a friend. In the late summer I potted it in a plastic self watering pot and it did not grow much. Then I repotted it in a huge clay pot with mixture of 1 part potting soil, 1 part top soil and 2 parts potting mix with magic grow. I moved it indoors right next to the patio door so that I can let in sunlight without the cold wind (kinda trying to give a glass house effect). It actually started sprouting. I water them whenever I see the soil on top very dry. But lately the leaves that are near the soil are starting to changes to yellow and started falling. I am worried if I am doing something wrong. We have also started putting on heater to keep it warm inside he apartment since it started snowing. I dont know how to take care of the curry leaves plant in this situation and I am worried since I dont want to lose it.

Please advice me how I can handle this situation in winter.

Thanks,
Poorni

o

My, people are passionate about their Curry leaf plants! Poorni, don't panic. Your plant will probably be fine. I suspect that they start to get brown leaves and drop leaves when they get stressed. I wish someone who knows the traits of this plant in its native climate would chime in. I suspect that this is how they respond to the dry season so it is somewhat normal.

It will be tough to keep it happy in the winter since it is tropical. I don't think that I would put dry heat near them. They don't like dry air very much. Better to put a plastic bag over the plant at night and mist it sometimes. You might consider fluorescent lights.

o

Hi Ionized,

Thanks for your tips. Yes, I love cooking and it had been like a passion for me to have a curry leaf plant and use it in my cooking. I will put a plastic bag over the plant at night. I do have a regular white light (tube light) and a another night light near it all through the night. Is that not enough? Should I still get a fluorescent light? Also, when I cover it with a plastic bag, should I mist it before everyday? Should I use any food or fertilizer at this time?

I know its a lot of questions, but I am so worried. I talk to them like they a my children and I couldn't stand to see them like that.

Thanks a loooooooooooot for your help.

Regards,
Poorni

o

Unless it is humid in the room with the plant, I would mist it. I don't know what you mean by "tube light". I would use a fluorescent light during the day and somewhat before and after the sun goes down to increase the apparent day length. With fertilizer, the general rule is not to fertilize when the plant is not actively growing. I would stick with that. When you see new leaves, fertilize a little.

I have older plants (~ 7 5 yrs). drop all their leaves in the winter and they come back as it warms up.

o

I would really like to attempt growing them indoors..I was successful once before using seeds but had to move. If anybody can spare seeds I'll be happy to defray costs. Apparently its quite easy: You pull out the pulpy fruit(with seeds in the middle)seeds, press them down them in between thick paper towels(folded a few times) and simply mail them off.
If you would consider doing that for me, I would be SO Grateful.

o

When are murraya koenigi seeds on the tree in the US? In August and September? Thank you!

o

I would just leave the fruit on the seed to prevent drying out.

When it the fruit on the bush? That would depend on the growth zone and, probably, how hard the winter was. I wish I kept records. SOTP, I would say that in 9A it is more like June or earlier through September.

o

Thank you!

o

Can some one send me some curry leaf plant seeds.the Seeds i had didn't germinate.

Thanks!

o

I just went out into my garden, armed with a pair of scissors to prune my 3 year-old ugly curry leaf plant (ugly because in the winter it dropped lots of leaves, and some of the others went brown, and the new growth on the top is spindly and just looks ridiculous) when I noticed it has 5 clumps of flower buds on it!!!

Anything I should be doing to ensure the flowers don't just drop off? I'm excited!

Ashita

o

I purchased a seedling curry leaf plant one year ago which spent the first 6 months in a 4" pot, then transitioned directly to an 8" pot. It grows in a west-facing window where it gets lots of sun. We are half a mile from the beach where it is too cool to grow it outside. After one year it is 25" tall, 3/8" dia at the base, and putting out branches that sport ~23 leaves each. It is growing at about 1/4" per day in a very rapidly draining soil mix containing lots of wood fiber and is watered when it begins to wilt with 15 oz of water containing 0.5t/gal 20-20-20 non-urea orchid fertilizer. I add 1/4t of chelated iron twice a year during active growth.

Can anybody provide some guidance on when and how I should prune it and which branches to take for cooking? I am inclined to wait for next spring then cut it back to about 20" to get some lateral growth and move it to a 12" pot. I have been hesitant to harvest leaves for the kitchen until I am taking less than 1% of the top growth (my approximation to "insignificant loss of leaf area").

Doc

o

Hello,
We have a problem with one of our curry plants.
It is about 5 ft tall.Indoors, exposure to southern sun.
For the past one week I have noticed that the leaves are falling, the tips of the limbs are droopy and it looks sick.
It was dry. I watered it.
I water only when it is dry.
The potting soil was changed about 3 months ago.
I very much appreciate your help and advice.
Thanks
GBKMKUNA

o

Hello,
I am not sure where I should look for the response.
I did log on to the site and I do not see any posted response.
Is there a special place I should look for the response
Appreciate your hlep
Thanks
Gbkmkuna

o

DocDough,
Your plant sounds like it is in great shape. During the growing season, you can pinch out the growing tips to produce branching. You don't have to do this more than once or twice. Harvest the older leaves first, the ones toward the bottom of the stem. Just snip off a branch with scissors and then strip off the leaves for use in cooking.

gbkmkuna,
Can't really tell what is wrong without more information. Have you changed anything else besides the soil? How often do you water? Have you checked for pests? At 5 ft, you must have had the plant for some time. Even healthy plants will shed all their leaves in winter and take a rest, especially if you live in a cold climate area.

o

My now ~2 yr old curry leave tree is in a 3 gal pot and has produced it's first seed (with more still on the tree). It blossomed early this spring (still winter really but it sits in a west-facing window) and I manually pollinated it with a small camel's hair brush. The single cluster of flowers was the only new growth until late April when it began to shoot from nodes below the berries. I was worried that I would not have any viable seed when the berries turned black and began to get wrinkled. Those small berries had no real seed inside - just pin-head sized nubs. This week one of the larger berries (~4mm dia) began to get wrinkled and I picked it. It contained a much larger seed, one that appears to be viable with a green outer covering. I washed it off with water and immediately planted it in some sandy soil.

Yesterday I noticed that there is a new blossom cluster developing at the tip of one of the main branches and a shoot emerging from the soil at the base of the trunk. Does anyone have any guidance on how to remove the new shoot from the root and does this plant bloom throughout the summer?

o

Hi doc.dough,
If you have seeds on your plant I doubt it's gonna give out suckers. Watch closely if it's just another branch that's shooting from the very bottom of the trunk. Although if it really has a sucker, let it grow some more before taking it apart from its mother plant. It's no rocket science all you have to do is loosen the soil around the baby plant n make sure don't rip off the roots completely. Some rootlets will break n that's ok n that's why it's very important for the baby plant to become a considerable size before removing it so it can live by itself even with a little bit of root damage. Make sure you severe the main root that attaches the mother plant to the baby very carefully. Plant it in a well draining soil n you have a new plant. You will also find lots of info on the web with step by step guidance.
About the bloom, you will typically get it same time every year or some times even twice every year. I have heard some people say it has multiple blooms, however I would like to know if you have any mature seeds that you can spare? I have been looking for the seeds. I can send SASE or can try to trade something of your choice . Plz let me know. Happy gardening.

o

• Posted by nabz none (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 30, 12 at 18:31

Hello dear CURRY PLANT lovers,

I am one sad owner of a dead curry plant. I bought it from a store and paid a lot of money for it. It eventually died. I had it outdoors and then it rained so much and was cold, so I bought it in. But soon, I see that it got all yellow and shed all its leaves. I still have its dark brown stem with no leaves standing there as a reminder of what "could've" been :( I am in Fremont, CA, very near Decoto Road/Fremont Blvd. Is there any kind hearted soul out there who could spare me some seeds/sucklings ???? I dont have ANY fancy seeds/plants to trade :(

o

Hello,

I had a similar issue several years ago. You could try leaving the stem as is in well drained soil and see if it comes back to life when it gets warmer. I gave up on it as I had many other things going on in life... Anyway, I just bought one plant about 3 inches tall on eBay (~$12 shipped) that's doing good. I am also trying to root fresh stems that I happened to get at an Asian grocery store ($1). So far one of the stems is showing signs of new leaf growth. I am not sure if its rooted yet. I am trying to read online if its better to trim the new growth to encourage the cutting to root better or leave it alone.

Thanks

o

I have lots of curry leaf plants. If you live in Southern California, contact me at:
johnpetersusa@yahoo.com

This post was edited by shaanp on Fri, Jul 5, 13 at 0:17

o

I live in fremont, and have a 6-8 feet curry leaf tree. Have lots of seeds sometimes. NabZ (or anyone else), if you want some (free) let me know. I sometimes have seedlings too, that I can give you (for free). Let me know.

o

My Curry leaf plants with full of seeds.

o
Curry leaf plants

Curry leaf plants grown from seeds.

This post was edited by shaanp on Sun, Jul 7, 13 at 16:30

o

I have a curry leaf plant that is around 15" now. It is actively growing leaves now but there is only a single thin stem from where the leaves are all emerging. Is this the right time to pinch the main stem of the curry leaf plant so as to help it to start branching out? Please help. Thanks!

o

We had been looking for a Curry Leaf Tree for some time, but could not find anything locally. Since we both like to grow things, we decided to try them from seed. After much internet searching we found what we considered a good deal from Royal Palm Enterprises in Hawaii. We got 50 fresh seeds and 2 day air shipping for less than $25.00. The seeds even had most of the pulp removed, and were wrapped in a wet paper towel. 50 seeds were a lot more than we needed, but having no idea what kind of germination we would get, that's what we decided on. We washed the seeds in dish soap as recommended in previous posts, after removing the rest of the pulp. We ended up with 58 seeds that were planted in solo cups on Aug. 19. At day 19, 16 of them have sprouted with most of them appearing between day 16 and day 19. Average day time temps here in Maryland have been in the mid 80's. We have had a couple of unusually cool nights, so we have taken them back inside at sundown, and placed them back out the next morning.We got busy with the garden and had not had the motivation to disassemble our grow light stand from our spring planting, so they have been under the lights when we bring them in.

In one of the previous posts someone mentioned a few of their starts had multiple shoots. Two of ours so far have two shoots. My only question at this time is, how big should the stems be before we cut one of them off? Any other suggestions would be appreciated. This is uncharted territory for us. Thanks!

o

Here is a follow up at day 67. 42 of the 58 seeds sprouted. A much higher germination rate than we anticipated. One of them expired with no noticeable decline when it was about an inch tall. For reasons unknown, I didn't toss it, and was rewarded about a week later with a new shoot! 14 of the 42 have multiple shoots [ 2 or 3], and most of them are between 3 1/2" to 4 1/2" inches tall. They are inside now, and get 12 hrs a day under the lights. Each rack has 6 32W T-8 bulbs. We have them in our laundry room, so I added a small humidifier that keeps the humidity at around 42% even with the heat on. It puts about 1 1/2 gal a day. Watering has been from the bottom only, and is done about every 12 days. I have been keeping a VERY close watch out for bugs. I did spray 2 of them with insecticidal soap about 10 days ago as a preventative measure, with no apparent adverse reactions. If those two still look good in another week, I'll spray the rest of them. So far we have been very pleased with how things are going! It's amazing how fragrant they are to be so small. Hopefully my next update will also be a positive one.

o

Hi - I live near Sydney, Australia and have had success with growing curry leaf plants from seed. I live in a temperate zone, maybe on a par with Los Angeles. I planted berries from an existing plant in peat pots, in the middle of winter - they took 5 long months to sprout (I almost gave up and threw them out). I now have new berries and am about to plant them out in summer this time. Hopefully, the process will be a little quicker!

On the offchance that someone living on the Central Coast of New South Wales, Australia reads this and would like some seeds, feel free to contact me on redape24@hotmail.com.

o

Curry leaf plants in San Bernardino, California.

o

Is there anyone with extra curry leaf plants seedlings willing to sell me a couple of seedling plants? My husband loves curry and I would love to grow this tree.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here