Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
piksi_hk

mandevilla from seeds

piksi_hk
17 years ago

Has anyone grown mandevilla from seeds? I've have them soaking in water right now. Thanks.

Comments (48)

• stormys_mom
    17 years ago

I dont have an answer for you, but would like to know if you got the seeds directly from the plant? I have a small one growing now on a trellis in my yard. I have cold winters so its not a perennial for me, but would love to save seed from it, if someone would tell me where they are on the plant. Spent blooms?

• geoforce
    17 years ago

Stormy- The seed pods are long bean-like pods about the size of a pencil, both in diameter and length. These split and give out lots of seeds, somewhat between catalpa and milkweed in appearance. The pods form on occasion, though rarely, as it requires a really different pollinator I think.

George

• stormys_mom
    17 years ago

Thank you George. I will keep my fingers crossed and my eyes open for the pods :)

• angie83
    17 years ago

Wow u got seeds I have two huge mandevilla and I havent seen any seeds.Did your polllinate them to get your seeds?And what do the seed pods look like?Thx Angie

• stormys_mom
    17 years ago

Wish I did!! I have one growing but no seeds yet, IT has not even bloomed yet. If anyone has seeds I would love to know where to get them also

• geoforce
    17 years ago

I have grown them for 5 years, and only once have I ever had seed pods form (2 years ago). 2 pods were formed from one flower, and if you disect a flower you will see 2 seperate styles from which they form. After about 4 months, the pods started to brown and I picked them. They were about 6 inches long and 1/4 inch diameter, slightly curved. The seeds look like they might be air-borne for dispersal.

I have tried to pollinate them other times, but with the weird flower structure, you have to totally tear off the corolla of the flower to reach the anther and stigmas. Even then, the anthers clasp together over the top, so you might have to remove some of them to pollinate the flower.

George

• adamsmom
    14 years ago

I get seed pods every year in the spring, before I ever get flowers. (I take the pot into the garage in the winter.) It could be that they grew from flowers that were on the plant in the fall when I put it into the garage, although that is a long time. It is in the garage from October to March, and I have seed pods that are opening now in May. And the flowers would not have gotten pollinated in the garage, so that would have happened before I put it in there. Has anyone had any success growing them from seed?

• danielle73
    13 years ago

Stormy~I live in where the winters are cold too. I just bring my mandevilla plant inside and treat it like a houseplant for the winter months. I cut it back till it's only about a foot tall. My Grandma does the same thing with hers. That would save you from having to start from seed, but that can be fun too.

• Carol_from_ny
    13 years ago

Ad me to the list of those that brings the plant inside come fall and treat it as a houseplant all winter long.
    Mine is just within the last few weeks started to bloom like crazy.
    I'd think because it naturally grows in a warmer/tropical type climate that seeds would be fairly easy to start. No hardening off of the seeds needed. Just good rich soil kept moist but not wet.

• dariecat_aol_com
    13 years ago

I have seven plants plants that live on my deck over the summer,I guess they crossed as now I have a ripe seed pod and now I want to start them.

• emmitst
    13 years ago

Could it be that the plants are self-sterile? That means that you would need a separate plant of a different strain nearby for pollination. Possibly those other plants have set seed because there was another plant within hummingbird reach of those plants.

• Dorogv
    12 years ago

I'm also interested in the pollination of Mandevilla. I tried several times, but without any success and the flower morphology is indeed very strange. So my questions to these people who received some seeds: Do you know which cultivars you have and at which climate conditions (temperature, light, water) the seeds were developing?
    Thanks

• Maria2013
    10 years ago

Does anyone know if the seed produces an identical plant?

• davidlmo
    9 years ago

If anyone is still interested :-) the plant grown from seed may not be identical to the plant that has the seeds. It may look like one or the other of the parents. Or it may be some combination.

As I type this, I am looking at a pink dipladenia that has 8 seedpos. It is about 5 feet from two bright red dipladenias.

I have a lot of hummers and hummingbird moths that visit my deck. I look forward to growing the seeds - never have. Will start them outdoors and move them to my basement growing area in October.

I have had no problems over wintering my dipladenia indoors.

• HAnton
    9 years ago

General question-I am in zone 4-MN. I love the mandevilla, but would have to bring it in for the winter. I always bring the bugs with the plant. The fungus nats get horrible. Any thoughts or ideas. I think I have learned that I could take a small group of plant/roots and start with a small one in the winter. Might help the bugs if it was really small. No real seeds to be found, I only have one plant, but would love to get another for next summer for cross pollination.

• Pyewacket
    9 years ago

Apparently you can propagate mandevilla via cuttings.

Some mandevilla appear to be pollinated solely by butterflies, others by specialized bees or hummingbirds. Some mandevilla do appear to be self-fertile at least part of the time. From what little information I have access to, there seems to be wide variation among mandevilla.

Perhaps those of you who have a species that can be pollinated by butterflies or hummingbirds ARE having them pollinated by butterflies or hummingbirds.

This post was edited by zensojourner on Thu, Oct 2, 14 at 12:51

• yolos - 8a Ga. Brooks
    9 years ago

My brother is a grower in Florida who has specialized in growing Mandivillas. He has even patented one or two. Last year when he came to visit me, he found a couple of seed pods on my Mandivillas and quickly grabbed them. I will have to e-mail him and get the information about planting the seeds. I have about 8 Mandivillas and one has two seed pods on the plant. I have been keeping my eye on it to make sure it doesn't split.

• HAnton
    9 years ago

Very cool! Love to see the seeds. I have brought my Mandevilla in the house already because we have had some VERY cold evenings already in MN. I didn't have any seeds, but I am going to try to start new plants by taking some cuttings and dipping them in root hormone and some additional clipping and put them in grow gel. I will also take some and just put them in water with maybe some miracle grow. I guess we will see if I get lucky! I am excited to get a new Madevilla next spring so there can be cross pollination maybe. The Audubon Society is hosting a class in my town on Tuesday and they are teaching all about landscaping and pollinators. Can't wait!!

• Virginia Mannino
    8 years ago

I get seeds... but they never grew. I'll try again. The mandevilla's are next to the humming bird feeders. I saw a youtube guy grow from cuttings. Back to youtube to see if anyone has them coming up from seeds. Have a great day fellow gardeners!

• Virginia Mannino
    8 years ago

• Virginia Mannino
    8 years ago

Here we observe the elusive seed pod. You can miss it, ya gotta look.

• Virginia Mannino
    8 years ago

We remove said “pod” from plant (observe size & color).

• Virginia Mannino
    8 years ago

See here is how this guy does it. I tried cutting off the vine at that weird kind of prong area... and sticking it in dirt.... FAIL. So, I'm thinking you can air layer it also (?): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1EML0yqSts

• Virginia Mannino
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I dragged a vine over to the hanging basket (don't judge me on the hanging basket) it's getting to be winter here in N.E. Georgia. Placed rock on vine (let's see if it roots).

• Virginia Mannino
    8 years ago

If the Mandevilla's end up a bust... look at this, I got a giant lemon (I think it was Myers) from the grocery store. Took the seeds, dried them out. Planted one... in a year it looks like the 2nd photo... and you can get LEMONS! yeahhhh.

• davidlmo
    8 years ago

The weird thing is the seed pod and is best left on the plant til it turns quite brown. Do not cut off when green as that will be useless.

After cutting off, put in plastic bag bit do not seal. Let sit in a sunny window til it opens. If it does not open on its own, coax it with a knife to carefully pry it open. The seeds are inside and are small and have a fluffy top. Those should be planted.

Good luck.

• tete_a_tete
    8 years ago

I think a paper bag will be much better than plastic. And yes, the pods must be allowed to brown and start cracking (preferably) before being picked.

• Rachael Wadeson
    7 years ago

I have a Rio dipladenia plant that last year gave me a pod of seeds.. i planted about 18 and only two came up but then died a few weeks later when about an inch tall with seed still attached :-( what did. Do wrong? Pic below shows it withering away

• kim stanley
    7 years ago

I clipped about 30 pieces of my Mandevilla & started them like that. only 5 pieces actually got new sprouts (super excited ) I also have seed pods but I'm waiting for them to dry.

• Virginia Mannino
    7 years ago

When I took the seeds pods when they were green, they didn't work.. so like the above said they have to turn brown on the vine first (will try that). None of my cuttings worked.. and none that I put on the ground to grow from the mother rooted. I'm in N.Georgia so I'll have to move this giant plant (again) to winter over in the garage! Your plant looks great Kim... (looks like our type).

• kim stanley
    7 years ago

Thank you Virginia. My seed pods probably will not produce either since I took them off while they were green . I'll know better next year. I brought my Mandevilla inside to grow as a houseplant over the winter, new sprouts have grown over a foot after cutting it all back. this is my most favorite plant/flower

• Virginia Mannino
    7 years ago

Me too. I had her out on my side porch... which is pretty large.. I hang hanging baskets all along one side... so as the mandevilla grew, I just moved a vine to each string holding the hanging baskets.. they grew up the hangers so it became like a wall of beautiful flowers! We need to get a white mandevilla next year... but I love these bright pink ones.

• Alice Troendle
    6 years ago

From Nothern MN live in apt. Wintering not an option. Think about ordering dipladania seeds. Can anyone advise on starting them?

• Virginia Mannino
    6 years ago

eh, first off... everyone says you have to totally let them ripen until the seed pods open ON the plant. I have a million aged seeds from my plant (now wintering in the garage). We'll see if any actually live. Cutting did not work for me at all. I'd suggest just paying the $7. for a plant. But, here is a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhMdeh9unFQ

• Alice Troendle
    6 years ago

Thanks

• Kristin Carr
    4 years ago

Mine a covered in these prongs and I had no idea they are seeds!

• Virginia Mannino
    4 years ago

YES! Those "Y" shaped or "V" shaped things are the seeds (inside). I got a whole bunch and NONE grew. I can grow just about anything from seed (except this plant). Also, laying the live vine on dirt (a pot set next to the living plant) did NOT make it root either. WTH? Wonder how they get these? Are they doing root division? Meanwhile (as all my other peps on here) we will winter them over in the house or garage! BTW, on your plant (the photo above) what you can do is put a tomato cage in your pot & it will grow upwards on that tomato cage. Or you can use 4 or 5 sticks & it will grow up on those. Making a rather nice display for your entry way :-)

• Virginia Mannino
    4 years ago

Well, this guy actually shows how he did it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1EML0yqSts

• Kristin Carr
    4 years ago

Mine are inside the garage in the pic as well ☺️! And I absolutely loved the way they cascaded from the pots flanking my porch columns. But thanks for the tips, may give that a try in the spring! I'm gonna miss them the most this winter! They are so pretty and were covered in blooms nonstop. My new favorite flower ♥️

• Christine Welton
    4 years ago

November in North Carolina. Out of town when the freeze came through and plants are dying. Was able to clip off 20 "V" shaped pods from my plant. They are brown but not opening. Question is, Let them dry and plant in the spring or open them now and plant in starter pots?

• Virginia Mannino
    4 years ago

It's pretty cold. I'd say save them until spring. But, my seeds NEVER grew. But on your frozen plant, just cut off all the vines & store the root (in the pot) in the garage. It will come back in spring (just add a little water now & then). This is a tropical plant.

• Virginia Mannino
    4 years ago

BTW guys. There is a tropical-looking plant called the "ginger lily". It is fantastic (in cold N.E. Ga). It grows the most wonderful smelling flowers. You cut it to the ground in winter & it will come back in the spring! It grows quickly too, grows in this clump fashion. I have to go cut mine to the ground tomorrow (they will not grow/green in winter).

• Arch Ibolt
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I am so excited and am praying that my excitement won't be short-lived! I always overwinter my mandevilla. They never look as pretty the next year, but they do thrive and bloom profusely in the direct sun. Last year they went to seed for the first time. I saved the pods and let them dry until they split open. There were a thousand seeds of the type carried by wind. I planted some. Others, I just lay atop the wet soil and covered them loosely with plastic wrap. I put them in a bright spot inside. It took weeks, no months, but when I looked today, they are sprouting!!!! Don't give up on them!

• stormys_mom
    3 years ago

Congratulations I am happy for you. It’s been a long time since I had seeds. They never germinated for me. But I’m happy to know if I ever find seeds again I will do what you did to sprout them. Great job !!

• Judith Colleen Lewis
    3 years ago

Thank you so much for this post I planted some seeds about a month ago and I was about to give up but now that you say that yours are finally coming up, I'm going to leave them alone and see what happens

• Arch Ibolt
    3 years ago

My little seedlings in their homemade greenhouse, aka salad box. I planted them in early 2020. This is all they've grown. The tallest are an inch!!! Hahaha!

• Kathy Goodwater
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I left the 2 seed pods on, brought the mande in to a south window with no obstructions. It still continued to bloom and grow beautifully. The seed pods were "oozing" sap and it worried me thinking it had spider mites, so I showered it one a week. In mid-December I was shocked to see the pods had burst open forming brown, feathery seeds. After a week or so I gathered them in a jar to propagate.