Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mandevilla from seeds

Posted by piksi_hk 9 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 4, 06 at 16:16

Has anyone grown mandevilla from seeds? I've have them soaking in water right now. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mandevilla from seeds

I dont have an answer for you, but would like to know if you got the seeds directly from the plant? I have a small one growing now on a trellis in my yard. I have cold winters so its not a perennial for me, but would love to save seed from it, if someone would tell me where they are on the plant. Spent blooms?

o

Stormy- The seed pods are long bean-like pods about the size of a pencil, both in diameter and length. These split and give out lots of seeds, somewhat between catalpa and milkweed in appearance. The pods form on occasion, though rarely, as it requires a really different pollinator I think.

George

o

Thank you George. I will keep my fingers crossed and my eyes open for the pods :)

o

Wow u got seeds I have two huge mandevilla and I havent seen any seeds.Did your polllinate them to get your seeds?And what do the seed pods look like?Thx Angie

o

Wish I did!! I have one growing but no seeds yet, IT has not even bloomed yet. If anyone has seeds I would love to know where to get them also

o

I have grown them for 5 years, and only once have I ever had seed pods form (2 years ago). 2 pods were formed from one flower, and if you disect a flower you will see 2 seperate styles from which they form. After about 4 months, the pods started to brown and I picked them. They were about 6 inches long and 1/4 inch diameter, slightly curved. The seeds look like they might be air-borne for dispersal.

I have tried to pollinate them other times, but with the weird flower structure, you have to totally tear off the corolla of the flower to reach the anther and stigmas. Even then, the anthers clasp together over the top, so you might have to remove some of them to pollinate the flower.

George

o

I get seed pods every year in the spring, before I ever get flowers. (I take the pot into the garage in the winter.) It could be that they grew from flowers that were on the plant in the fall when I put it into the garage, although that is a long time. It is in the garage from October to March, and I have seed pods that are opening now in May. And the flowers would not have gotten pollinated in the garage, so that would have happened before I put it in there. Has anyone had any success growing them from seed?

o

Stormy~I live in where the winters are cold too. I just bring my mandevilla plant inside and treat it like a houseplant for the winter months. I cut it back till it's only about a foot tall. My Grandma does the same thing with hers. That would save you from having to start from seed, but that can be fun too.

o

Ad me to the list of those that brings the plant inside come fall and treat it as a houseplant all winter long.
Mine is just within the last few weeks started to bloom like crazy.
I'd think because it naturally grows in a warmer/tropical type climate that seeds would be fairly easy to start. No hardening off of the seeds needed. Just good rich soil kept moist but not wet.

o

I have seven plants plants that live on my deck over the summer,I guess they crossed as now I have a ripe seed pod and now I want to start them.

o

Could it be that the plants are self-sterile? That means that you would need a separate plant of a different strain nearby for pollination. Possibly those other plants have set seed because there was another plant within hummingbird reach of those plants.

o

I'm also interested in the pollination of Mandevilla. I tried several times, but without any success and the flower morphology is indeed very strange. So my questions to these people who received some seeds: Do you know which cultivars you have and at which climate conditions (temperature, light, water) the seeds were developing?
Thanks

o

Does anyone know if the seed produces an identical plant?

o

If anyone is still interested :-) the plant grown from seed may not be identical to the plant that has the seeds. It may look like one or the other of the parents. Or it may be some combination.

As I type this, I am looking at a pink dipladenia that has 8 seedpos. It is about 5 feet from two bright red dipladenias.

I have a lot of hummers and hummingbird moths that visit my deck. I look forward to growing the seeds - never have. Will start them outdoors and move them to my basement growing area in October.

I have had no problems over wintering my dipladenia indoors.

o
RE: mandevilla

General question-I am in zone 4-MN. I love the mandevilla, but would have to bring it in for the winter. I always bring the bugs with the plant. The fungus nats get horrible. Any thoughts or ideas. I think I have learned that I could take a small group of plant/roots and start with a small one in the winter. Might help the bugs if it was really small. No real seeds to be found, I only have one plant, but would love to get another for next summer for cross pollination.

o

Apparently you can propagate mandevilla via cuttings.

Some mandevilla appear to be pollinated solely by butterflies, others by specialized bees or hummingbirds. Some mandevilla do appear to be self-fertile at least part of the time. From what little information I have access to, there seems to be wide variation among mandevilla.

Perhaps those of you who have a species that can be pollinated by butterflies or hummingbirds ARE having them pollinated by butterflies or hummingbirds.

This post was edited by zensojourner on Thu, Oct 2, 14 at 12:51

o

• Posted by yolos 8A (GA) (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 4, 14 at 21:13

My brother is a grower in Florida who has specialized in growing Mandivillas. He has even patented one or two. Last year when he came to visit me, he found a couple of seed pods on my Mandivillas and quickly grabbed them. I will have to e-mail him and get the information about planting the seeds. I have about 8 Mandivillas and one has two seed pods on the plant. I have been keeping my eye on it to make sure it doesn't split.

o

• Posted by yolos 8A (GA) (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 5, 14 at 21:29

Okay, my brother finally emailed me back. He is a man of few words, and this was his reply.

The seed pods will continue to mature until they sort of start turning brownish. Then take them off and let them dry and then keep them in a plastic baggy until spring. See attached pic.

Here is his picture of the seeds.

o

Very cool! Love to see the seeds. I have brought my Mandevilla in the house already because we have had some VERY cold evenings already in MN. I didn't have any seeds, but I am going to try to start new plants by taking some cuttings and dipping them in root hormone and some additional clipping and put them in grow gel. I will also take some and just put them in water with maybe some miracle grow. I guess we will see if I get lucky! I am excited to get a new Madevilla next spring so there can be cross pollination maybe. The Audubon Society is hosting a class in my town on Tuesday and they are teaching all about landscaping and pollinators. Can't wait!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here