Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fgilles02420

An interesting FYI on Echinacea Razzmatazz..

18 years ago

I grew out seedlings of Echinacea 'Razzmatazz' seeds I received in a trade. Of the eight I grew to flowering size, three are 'Razzmatazz', the others are regular old Echinacea purpurea. I knew it wouldn't come 100% true from seed, but this was a better percentage than I expected so definitely worth doing!

Comments (8)

• 18 years ago

Thanks, this gives those of us who can't get the plant some hope! Although I have yet to be able to trade for some of this seeds and I have purchased the razzmatazz, doppledanggler and meadowbrite through catalogs only to have them arrive half dead or die soon after. Problem is not that they won't grow in my area, but that it is to hot when the plant companies start shipping. Seeds are my best option. Glad it worked out for you, Flora

• 18 years ago

With my luck, I'd weed out the seedlings that would've just happened to come true to parent, and get stuck with the generic version ;)

I'm going to test my Echinacea "Mango Meadowbright", just to see what happens...

• 18 years ago

First none of your seedlins are razzmatazz. You have just double seedlings of Echinacea purpurea. Razzmatazz is a plant patented vegatively propagated cultivar. If you grow then from seed you have nothing. And if you pass them off as razzmatazz or trade seeds saying that they are you are an irresponsible gardener and are destroying the work that an acutal person, Jan Van Winsen, has done.

• 18 years ago

OK happyho, I'll be more specific!! I acquired and grew out seeds of Echinacea 'Razzmatazz' and 37.5% of the F1 generation display the 'Razzmatazz' phenotype!!

Nowhere in my post did I say I was going to represent or trade these as original 'Razzmatazz' so don't jump to conclusions or call people names. (If I was going to trade these as true 'Razzmatazz' then why on earth would I post publicly that I have F1's?)

This information was merely for those who would like to see how genetics works in the next generation, and what results they could expect if they grew out a cultivar from seed. So if Razzmatazz is a homozygous recessive (and I'm not claiming it is, I don't know), then I have pretty much what you would expect - about 25% of the seedlings have the parental phenotype.

Gee what a fun reply to a harmless post.

• 18 years ago

Hi Frances,
    Actually, I find it interesting. I love to read about other seed grower's results. Thanks. And thanks for teaching me a new word 'phenotype'. ; )
    Loretta

• 18 years ago

Hi Frances, I agree with Loretta, it is fun to see what you get and I also find it very interesting. I can't grow this plants because they arrive to late in the mail for me and just die off. I just purchased 6 white swan and 6 ruby giants and boy do I feel lucky that home depot had them. We are lucky whenever we find a no-name regular wildflowered echinacea down here. The few that I have are no name that I grew from a wild seed packet. For the last 3 years I have sent for echinaceas in the mail and they just don't make it because it's to late in the season for me. Plant companies start shipping in mid March and my spring is just about over at that point. My point is that if I can get a hold of any of the seeds from any of the hybrids I will take my chances. Wishing I had every echinacea in the world, Flora

• 18 years ago

I suppose 10 seeds would be a reasonable 'test' amount which may guarantee at least ONE resulting in the parents' features. Easy to figure out the percentage anyway! If I can get just a couple to do that, then I can just do plant divisions and cuttings from there. I am working on a trade for some echinacea magnus and some monarda.

• 16 years ago

fgilles02420, don't know if you still are around, but did they end up as you had expected? I was wondering because I just found a garden with them and asked the owner if she would let me have some of the seeds once they finished blooming. I am hoping that you did get 25% success.