Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaesgarden

Eucalyptus Corymbia ficifolia seeds - germination?

kaesgarden
9 years ago

Hi there,

I'm new to this forum and new to gardening. If there is anyone out there that has some experience with this tree i would welcome all advise given. This year was the first year i planted anything outside and I've never had an indoor house plant. So i'm really getting into growing and i've purchased some seeds from a seller online of Eucalyptus Corymbia ficifolia seeds but i've had little success on finding out the proper way of germinating this particular species of Eucalyptus and at the moment i have one seed being surface sowed outside in a pot with a cover.

Any advise is greatly welcomed. :) How do i germinate this beauty?
Thank you to all that can help me! I'm so lost. Sorry if this is in the wrong category, i'm still learning to navigate my way around.

Comments (5)

• ampa62
    9 years ago

I believe you have seeds like these in the photo, correct?

I found these acorn yesterday under a magnificent tree.

Some weeks ago I bought 12 different kind of trees seeds. Most are in the frozen (Abies, betula, ...) others are already growing (laburnum, quercus, jacarandá). From where I bought them I received instructions about how to take care of them.

About this Eucalytpus I have no idea, but I am going to find out.

We will keep in touch in order to find the best solution.

• kaesgarden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for responding ampa62,

These are what my seeds look like, i'm hoping what could possibly be inside those pods? I ordered these online, nevertheless i've had no luck germinating them. I've tried just surface sowing on a sandy medium which i then put cling film over and placed outside under diffused lighting.

Then i after two weeks in the fridge ... nothing. I think the seeds actually crumbled apart when i picked it up. So that was a big fail.

TBF, some kind people on here told me they germinate at 65-70 temp. It's been high 70's to mid 80's when i tried. It's just now starting to cool down.

But, yes! i would welcome and love all tips as my goal is to have one of these beauties in my back yard.

Scarlet

• ampa62
    9 years ago

Hello Scarlet,

I bought other seeds online (picea, abies, laburnum,...) and each one had a full specification on how to grow. Very complete indeed.

I believe you should not put these seeds in the fridge.

I have the Eucaliptus in the photo in my garden (not the same kind of Eucaliptus) and this one is quite invasive. If you left the seeds in the soil they grow easily.

Let's see if with our seeds it works in the same way...

I am going to make an experience with 50% of the acorns I collected and put in the soil, as referred in this page:

http://anpsa.org.au/eucal2a.html

The others 50% I will just throw to the soil and wait.

Temperatures here in Portugal around 20 - 30 Celsius during this period of the year.

• kaesgarden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Fantastic site ampa62,

I'm going to try the bog method, fingers crossed! I will keep you posted on what happens ... or doesn't happen. The temps at the moment are so slowly receding at the moment we're at 70's range rather than 80's which is utterly wonderful in it's own right.

I really hope our seeds prove their worth here. Let me know how you get on with yours, it says general 2-3 weeks. That's hardly anything.

I'll start 2 tonight and see how we get on. :)
    Scarlet

• ampa62
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hello Scarlet

I already have news :)

In February I put the seeds outside in a place protected from direct sun. Now I have a few plants with 3in. Shortly I will post a photo

Regards