Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Collecting Seeds

Posted by mary_max 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 21, 12 at 17:28

I am collecting seeds from coreopsis plants, larkspur, fever few,blanket flowers just to name a few. My question is. I plan to keep some of the seeds for wintersowing but the rest can I simply drop them in the beds at this time. And will they sprout now or when temperatures cool down? Its in the high 90's now. Or should I wait to scatter some come fall? I threw a bunch of seeds out last night thought this was okay since they would fall anyway if I didn't collect them. But them read they wont germinate in the high temps. Can anyone help me better understand what to do. Thanks so very very much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Collecting Seeds

I often "cold stratify" my seeds for several weeks before planting by putting them in the refrigerator. The thought behind this is that the seed senses the warmth once it comes out of the colder temperature, and decides it's spring. This doesn't work for all seeds, but you might want to try it with at least some of yours. If the seeds are mature, collect them, let them air dry for a few days inside, and then put them in a plastic bag in the refrigerator until things cool down.

o
RE: Collecting Seeds

Many sites, for example; Cold Stratify and Cold Stratification say to add a bit of moisture along with the seeds in the bag in the refrigerator.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here