Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How can I propogate Coreopsis flower?

Posted by artisticcheese 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 15, 13 at 20:42

Hello,

I bought Coreopsis "Illico" variety in Lowes and I really like the flower but I can not find it in Lowes anymore. Not only that I can not find any references to this type of flower on any US websites, there are some references on UK and for CZ (Czech I assume) websites. So I'm left only with option to try to get seeds out of current flower and try to grow it. What do I need to do to make it happen? I have dried out whatever left of flowers and i put it container, covered it with soil and watering it daily. It has been 5 days now and I can not see anything coming out of it. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Greg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How can I propogate Coreopsis flower?

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 15, 13 at 23:07

I can't tell for certain if this one is c. grandiflora , or c. tinctoria but the germination suggestion is the same for both....
Surface sow 70F or barely cover as some light may be beneficial to germination. Germination in approx. 7-14 days.

I don't know this particular coreopsis to be able to tell you if it comes true from seed, or even if it sets viable seed. Some of the named varieties coreopsis do not.

Here is a link that might be useful: coreopsis grandiflora ripe seed photo Seed Site

o

I beleive it's grandiflora variety. You can see pictures of the tag here. So I just take dried out flowers and drop it on top of soil I set up at home in cup and water it and cover with plastic wrap, sit next to window and possibly it will work?

Thanks,

This post was edited by artisticcheese on Tue, Jul 16, 13 at 9:42

o

A flower has lots of seeds in it. Let the flower dry on the plant, then rub the seeds out. I think the best way to propagate this plant would be by dividing in half. That's if it's big enough. You might have to plant it and wait a year.

o

A flower has lots of seeds in it. Let the flower dry on the plant, then rub the seeds out. I think the best way to propagate this plant would be by dividing in half. That's if it's big enough. You might have to plant it and wait a year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here