Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cerinthe HELP!!!!! please!

Posted by arielletea 9 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 18, 12 at 21:26

This is my first year growing Cerinthe (blue shrimp plant) I am growing the strain "Pride of Gibralter" from seed and it's pretty much run it's course, I got thousands of beautiful blooms and would love to grow them again next year- but I havent found a single seed yet and they are pretty much done now...! I see tons of little tiny black dots on the plant I can wipe away, but the seeds are about the size of an infants nail and I would notice them. I look everyday but have never seen a seed, do I need to cut the flower to get it to produce seed? I am growing 3 in different pots and would love to gather as many seeds as possible to trade/sell. I know they tend to reseed, however mine wont because they are in pots on my concrete patio...

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cerinthe HELP!!!!! please!

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 19, 12 at 0:08

The seeds don't just drop when ripe, they are dispersed by the opening pod - flung...sometimes quite a ways. You haven't found any sweeping your patio, black and sized of BBs?

You might try bagging (squares of nylon stocking and a twist tie) some of the flower heads. My own are not ripe yet but this is a cool Z8 and we haven't had much in the way of summer ripening weather here on the coast..

Here is a link that might be useful: GardenWorlds ripe pod photos (borrowed)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here