Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
buttonbush propagation

Posted by teqrecon 8 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 17, 07 at 21:45

Has anyone successfully propagated buttonbush(Cephalanthus occidentalis) from seed? If so, when did you start the process and what process did you use? I have buttonbush seeds in a number of pots with different soil types, and some in a refrigerator. I have had these experiments going for a few weeks with no results. It may not be the right time to try and propagate this plant. Maybe results will not appear until the spring. Buttonbush seed may have a low germination rate.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: buttonbush propagation

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 19, 07 at 10:36

Druse:
Sow outdoors in Fall, or sow indoors 70-75F for germination in 7-14 days.

plants.usda.gov:
buttonbush seeds are ready for collection in the fall when they have turned reddish-brown. No pretreatment is necessary. Sow seeds into moist, humus soils in full sun or part shade.

Clothiers:
Cephalanthus occidentalis , Buttonbush ,zone= 5 , sow @ 70F

o

Mine have had high germination rates, typically about 70+%, but I used "Byron's Tea Recipe" to start the last batch. It went up to maybe 80+%. Sow them early spring or fall. I start them in small pots, but you can direct sow. They get rather big though; so sowing in pots is better I think.

o

I just started some seeds indoors. What is the growth rate from seed? Will I have a bush by fall? Im looking at transplanting some around a duck hole by October.

Thanks in advance

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here