Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how deep to sow bean seeds?

Posted by kawaiineko_gardener 5a (jesusbeloved29@yahoo.com) on
Sat, Jul 7, 12 at 22:27

This is for snap bean seeds; they're bush types.

I know, follow the instructions on the pkt. Most of them say about 1" to 1-1/2". I'm wondering, is this too deep? I'm concerned if I sow that deep, they'll rot in the soil and never sprout to the surface.

Also wondering about melon and cuke seeds; how deep? They're not tiny seeds, but they are still small.

I don't know how deep to sow; again I'm concerned if the sowing depth on pkt instructions is too deep?

Also I have lima and soybean seeds I plan to plant. They're very big seeds, never sown them; how deep to plant without them rotting in the soil, cause of depth being too deep?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how deep to sow bean seeds?

Plant them according to directions. Some people soak then overnight to get a small jump start at germination.

o

I'm not sure why, but very specifically and emphatically on all of the packets of bean seeds I got this year (untreated seeds from a few sources) was the instruction NOT to pre soak. Anyone know why that might be? I've soaked in the past. I did not this year, and I have to say that I noticed no difference in germination time or rate, FWIW.

o

The advantage of soaking bean seeds ahead of time is minimal. My general rule of thumb is to plant bean seeds or any seeds that size with about 3/4-1" of soil above the seed.

o

I don't soak peas or beans just in case something comes between starting to soak them and getting them into the ground - bad weather, sudden other commitments etc. I can't guarantee to be able to get out to the garden at the right time. But I do water the bottom of the drill when I sow.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here