Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what are these seedling?

Posted by jardin_de_maria (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 22, 10 at 22:48

Being the newbie that I am, I bought a couple of "wildflower mixes" and now I have no idea what are weeds and what are flowers, what to leave and what to pull up. Can you help me identify what these are?

The flowers listed on the mixes are:
calendula
cornflower centaurea
siberian wallflower
lupine
lance-leaved coreopsis
purple coneflower
bird's eye
blue flax
sweet alyssum
spurred snapdragon
godetia clarkis
california poppy
blanketflower
indian blanket
shirley poppy
black-eyed susan
white yarrow
shasta daisy
rocket larkspur
catchfly
plains coreopsis
evening primrose
chinese forget-me-not
annual gypsophila
cheiranthus

sorry for the sideways pictures, i have no idea why they uploaded that way... i couldn't fix it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what are these seedling?

The first picture is blanket flower or plains correopsis. It's hard to say which as their leaves are similar. The second is definately a poppy and I'm not sure about the last. Unless the plant has a distinctive leaf like poppy it is often hard to tell before they bloom

o

I loved this post...I'm dabbling in seeds myself and I'm scared to death to pull weeds! I can't tell which is which! ;)

o

The 2nd picture is definitely California poppy. They are annuals except in warm climates, but they reseed abundantly every year for me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here