Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
yellow flag iris seed pods

Posted by puddinnn north carolina (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 11, 13 at 22:57

My yellow flag iris' have a seed pod and I'm wondering do I remove them while they are green and how do I plant them..how long does it take for them to flower?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: yellow flag iris seed pods

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 12, 13 at 1:10

First, this is considered an invasive species in several states, mine included. I don't know how many more may have been added in recent years but "Iris pseudacorus is reported as invasive in Connecticut, Delaware, Maryland, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Oregon, Tennessee, Virginia, Vermont, Washington, Wisconsin, and West Virginia (Forest Health Staff 2006)."

You would want to look at your own states invasive species lists and see if there are restrictions - and truthfully, there are many more pretty yellow iris that are not invasive that you could enjoy growing.

As for the seed pod, it would be ripe when it begins to brown and split open at its 'seam'. This iris, like many, does best with a warm moist, cold moist, cool moist (and in that order) sequence. Part of the problem with them is they self sow as one means of increasing, seeds dropping in late summer to Fall to germinate the following spring. That means sow in Fall, or sow at 68F for 4 weeks, move to 39F for 6 weeks, then move to approx. 55F for germination They should flower in their third year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here