Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garlic seed

Posted by ezramore (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 26, 13 at 23:10

Hi, I planted garlic seed (from last fall's flower ball) that is I planted them this spring. Yay they all started and grew for two months. Now, mostly all have died back and I have dug them up (all 80 of 'em) which are now 3/4 inch bulbs. Do I dry them and replant them in the fall for over wintering in the garden and collect the full grown heads two falls from now (now is July 26th 2013)? Seems like a lot of work I realize, but I enjoy being in the garden. Thanks for advizing me on the life cycle of garlic. Any good links to learn about garlic? Thanks for your help in advance...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garlic seed

The best way to plant garlic is to take a whole bulb, break up the cloves, plant cloves in fall and harvest new bulbs the next summer. Removing the flower scape (stem) in spring will help the bulb put more energy into getting bigger instead of making seed.

Starting with seed, it will take a few years to harvest. Here's a quote from the link below:

"Year 1: Remove bulbils from the umbels of selected garlic plants. Harvest the seeds in the fall.

Year 2: In January or early February begin the bleach and four week cold treatment of the seeds. In February or early March plant the seeds indoors in seed trays. As soon as feasible, migrate the seedlings to natural light and the garden bed. Depending on growing conditions, intermediate steps may include transplanting to small pots and relocating to greenhouse or cold frame.

As the plants begin to senesce in late summer or early fall, harvest the rounds for replanting. Plant the rounds in the fall when you normally plant your garlic crop. If the plants have not yet formed a round by early fall, leave in the ground or, if necessary to protect from severe cold, move to a cool greenhouse or cold frame.

Year 3: Most rounds will yield fully-developed plants and divided bulbs. Harvest as you would the rest of your garlic crop, or use the plants for a second generation of seed production, or do a combination of both. In the fall, plant the cloves of particularly vigorous or promising cultivars to preserve the cultivars and increase planting stock."

You can find all this info with a search. It's SO much easier to plant cloves...less than a year to harvest. But I understand the fun factor in doing seeds.

Here is a link that might be useful: growing garlic from seed

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here