Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
falloutgardener

Coir fiber pots

falloutgardener
14 years ago

Purchased some coir (coconut fiber) pots to start some seeds. Already had bad experiences with peat pots, so I thought I'd try these. Apparently these pots are pretty durable, with gaps between fibers for root passage. Offered in multiple sizes too.

I actually tried these with cucumbers a while back; worked well. Growth was equal to a cuke sown straight into the ground.

Anyone else have any experience with these? I'm planning to start some fall crops soon, and I'm wondering if the roots will penetrate the sides of the pot.

Cucumber roots may be extremely strong, so maybe I just got lucky with them? The air gaps are extremely small, and cutting one of these pots apart is a LOT of work. I definitely don't want to start dozens of seedlings, only to cut the sides of every one of them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fiber Grow Pots

Comments (7)

• dicot
    14 years ago

I don't like using peat either, but I would never buy those coir pots for exactly the reason you stated. I only use coco coir as part of a soiless germinating medium for seeds that need quite a bit of water to break dormancy (mainly our CA native perennials) of 3 parts perlite, 1 part coco fiber, 1/2 part washed sand and a little slow release pellet fertilizer.

It's easy to make your own grow pots from newspaper or cardboard. i personally prefer using flats for germination or using the plastic baggie method for heat loving seeds. And I often don't use soilless mix at all and use peroxide or chamomile tea to control damping off fungus.

Here is a link that might be useful: making newspaper pots

• falloutgardener
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey, thanks for the tip! Great way to use up those papers all over the place =)

Still, at any case, I still have to use those coir pots for something.. (compost?)

• tom_treeark_com
    13 years ago

I just got some coir waifers from burpee and they don't do anything when i wet them to expand them.

I've tried hot water, cold water, adding water in stages and nada.

The jiffy pots blow up almost as I watch, but the coir don't do squat.

Anyone else having the same problem?

• keriann_lakegeneva
    13 years ago

Be thankful they didn't expand.

You really dont want the headache of using them.

Keriann~

• compogardenermn
    13 years ago

I had high hopes for these and was duped into buying them thinking they would be great. They claim to break down once you plant them, but when you pull your plants up in the fall, the pots look very similar to when you first started your seed in them. The only difference is all the girdled roots contained inside. I'm not fond of them in general, but I have found them to work nicely for starting cucumbers, squash and pumpkins. I seed them 2-4 weeks before I plan to bring them outside to give them a head start so they wont be as easily vulnerable to cutworms. The cucurbits seem to push roots through the pots alright and the plants grow well, but I've not been all that pleased with tomatoes or peppers. Just use plastic pots.

• Woebegonia
    13 years ago

I'm going to try coir pots for a few orchids, the supplier claims they will not fall apart when wet, rich in nutrients, Ph neutral, and will last up to five years.Judging from above, the suppliers seem to say anything they please to sell these pots. Guess experience willtell us what the real story is.

• Jerry71
    13 years ago

My wife grows orchids and watching what she is doing with them and a medium she grows them in these pots are perfect! I was lucky to transplant my flower seedlings from these pots before the roots got entangled in the fibers. What a great idea to grow orchids in them. I am going now to shred them and give them to my wife as a new fangled grow medium! Thanks for the tip. BTW, they never expanded when soaked. Jiffy pots just grew as you watched.