Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fall planting

Posted by AiliDeSpain 5a (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 7, 12 at 1:20

I started seeds 2.5 weeks ago for a fall harvest. I currently have broccoli, spinach, two leaf lettuce varieties, basil and parsley. The seedlings are doing great, I have had them in the shade outdoors since germination.
My question is regarding planting them out. I did a test run with a few lettuce seedlings that had it's true leaves, and as I suspected they shriveled in this intense heat. Our temps have been in the upper 90's for what seems like forever.
My question is when would it be safe to plant these seedlings out. I'm getting nervous as I want to plant them out with enough time to get a fall harvest.
Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fall planting

Well, basil and parsley will require more time to mature than your broccoli, spinach, and lettuce. I'd go ahead and put them out now. I'm not sure about parsley but I know that basil likes the warm weather and plenty of sun.

Broccoli, spinach, and lettuce are cool weather crops. If your weather is still very warm, you might want to wait until it cools off a little before putting those out. Those crops will probably reach full maturity in 30 days or so. If your first killing frost is around the middle of October you could even put them out as late as early September.

Hope this helps,

Art

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here