Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vivianii

Heat mats : is thermostat a must have ?

vivianii
13 years ago

Im planning on getting 2 20x20 mats or 1 20x48 Hydrofarm mats , none of which are commercial size/type mats of course . Question is , do I need to get a thermostat (digital) ? What exactly is the function of this ? Would the mats get too hot or not hot enough without it ? Does it shut off power to manitain exact temperature needed ? Completely clueless here , would appreciate any help please !

On a side note , I have large glass domes at home , offering full sun .Would these be useful for seedlings or would they be for the most part a bit too sunny and wilt them ?

TIA !

V

Comments (7)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    13 years ago

The thermostat is very important in my opinion. The germination medium should never exceed a reasonable temperature plus it should be maintained evenly until you unplug the mats after germination has occurred. Like any thermostat, it will turn the heat the on and off, regulating the temperature accordingly.

I'd think that the glass domes would be too hot. You don't want to cover the seedlings with something that doesn't allow for some fresh air circulation.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    13 years ago

Heat mats often contain thermostats preset for 70 degrees, similar to those built in to electric blankets for safety sake. Check the specs on the mats you are considering. Al

• wordwiz
    13 years ago

I use a waterbed heater for my heat mat. Has a thermostat. As for the dome - I keep one on my mix until the first seed germinates then it comes off.

Mike

• oregonwoodsmoke
    13 years ago

Yes.

Plus a soil thermometer, so you can double check that soil temperature is correct.

• sisterrific
    13 years ago

last year, I used the same Hydrofarm heat mats without a thermostat without any problems. (and with much faster germination rates than the year before!) I think they are preset to a certain temperature.

• keriann_lakegeneva
    13 years ago

I use heating blankets with no thermostat but I do check it 3 times a day to make sure it has not over heated, and yes, that is the main purpose (in my opinion) of the thermostat, to prevent overheating.

I agree with the above comments, a glass dome is much too hot for seedlings and they need more consistant light then the sun at that time of the year.

What are you planning on sowing?

Keriann~

• greenpassion
    13 years ago

I am jealous! I can't afford heat mats. I use my studio as a 'nursery' beginning in early spring. It's heated in there with propane heat. (The main house is oil, and my studio is an attatched building) I have had sucess every year by using the jump start grow lights on a large table, keeping the room around 70, and using a small fan to keep the air circulating. Prior to using the fan I had real trouble with damping off and lost many trays of seedlings. I wish I could use heat mats, but really, without them it's fine. The cost of heating that room is like maybe 50.00 a year. This winter I plan on overwintering many of my tropicals in there and still use the other side to paint.