Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ilex aquifolium seed

Posted by Edlyn12 none (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 2, 12 at 4:33

I have read that Holly seed can take three years to germinate.Is there any way I can make it germinate quicker.Do I peel the skin a bit or peel it hard?Help please.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ilex aquifolium seed

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 2, 12 at 11:49

Do you have a bird you could enlist to help? Passed through the digestive system of a bird, the seeds have much of their germination inhibitors removed ;) I know it works, I pull a lot of holly seedlings from my beds and the nearest fruiting trees are a block away.

You could try this: (Clothiers) wash seed 3 times daily 14 days, then sow @ 72F for slow germination. (up to 18 months)

I don't know what climate you are in, but I might suspect that fluctuating temperatures may help, as in what would be found outdoors, not only the seasons, but drops at night from daytime warmth. If you are someplace though where pots might be frozen at some point for weeks at a time, it could delay the process until temperatures are not quite so cold.

o

Thank you for your reply Morz8.But could you answer this.Should I peel the seed or not?Could anybody else help me with this question?

Thank You,
Edlyn12

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 4, 12 at 1:31

Have the berries dried? Soaking and washing the seed 3 x a day for two weeks should remove most of the pulp and the germination inhibitors there. If you are able to peel some of it back, do that. Easiest would be to crush when fresh, remove the seeds then.

o

Thank you.I will try that.I really apprecciated you replying.

Thank You,
Edlyn12

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here