Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Using cinder blocks to grow taprooted tree seedlings in?

Posted by nick_b79 4/5 Southeast MN (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 26, 13 at 4:39

Cruising around the free section of Craigslist earlier tonight, I saw someone giving away a few dozen cinder blocks, and a lightbulb went on.

What if I placed a strip of chicken wire on the ground to stop gopher invasions, and stacked cinder blocks two rows high on top of them, making sure the holes lined up? If filled with compost, this would give me a planting cavity 4"x4" and almost 2 ft tall.

If I planted acorns, walnuts and buckeyes in these, I could just disassemble them to remove the seedlings, an easy no-fuss alternative to digging them up.

Has anyone done this before, or have any input on it?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Using cinder blocks to grow taprooted tree seedlings in?

yes but will need to protect the top also as many can jump the 2 ft & get at the seed.....

o
RE: Using cinder blocks to grow taprooted tree seedlings in?

Oh, I'm not too worried about the above-ground pests: the neighbor's dogs, the local fox and coyote populations, the owls and my .22-cal rifles keep them in check. It's the damn pocket gophers that kill me. They never come out of the ground to be killed. I had a row of apricot seedlings in the garden last year, and the little bastards pulled them straight down, Bugs Bunny style, into the ground as they ate the roots off! I lost a 6 ft tall Honeycrisp apple AND a 6 ft tall Northstar cherry after they ate ALL the roots and the trees basically fell over in a strong wind one spring day!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here