Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nadya17_gw

soil dried during germination

Nadya17
10 years ago

Hi, I'm a newbie at gardening, and now i really need help!

Last weeks I bought some herb seeds like oregano, parsley, rosemary, and two kinds of basil. I soaked them in water for 24 hours before planting, then I scatter the seeds on top of the soil. Then I had to come to family wedding out of town, and I simply forget about them. I told my brother to water them but he forgot too. When I came home, the soil n top has been dried out. I cant see anyseeds. The basils did sprouted, however, only few of them.

My question is, because I scattered the seeds ON the soil surface, should I start with new batches of seeds or wait for them to come up? I've read that oregano and parsley are slow to germinate. I've watered the thoroughly now.

Also, I know it's stupid but when I saw the dry soil I tried to look for the seeds but couldn't find even one in the place I put them on the soil.. What should I do now?

Thanks! Your answers will be very appreciated!

Comments (3)

• florauk
    10 years ago

There's no way of knowing from your description whether they will germinate or not. So it would be sensible to start some fresh seed but also to watch the old sowings to see what happens. For future reference there is no need to soak such seeds before sowing. It starts the germination process off but if, as happened in your case, there is then a failure in watering the seeds are likely to die. Unsoaked seeds will just sit there until they are watered.

It is possible that this is not a good time to be starting seeds, depending on where you live. If you have harsh winters do you have a plan for getting your babies through til spring?

• Nadya17
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi florauk,

I think I got the picture, you mean because soaking starts the germination, then when the seed dries out during the germination process then maybe my seeds have died?

If the seeds have died though, why cant i find them? Like parsley seeds that are easy to see.. I dont have an empty container right now.. And running out of seeds too!

• Glendora91741
    10 years ago

Greetings Nadya17,

(check out my response=***)

Last weeks I bought some herb seeds like oregano, parsley, rosemary, and two kinds of basil. I soaked them in water for 24 hours before planting, then I scatter the seeds on top of the soil. Then I had to come to family wedding out of town, and I simply forget about them. I told my brother to water them but he forgot too. When I came home, the soil n top has been dried out. I cant see anyseeds. The basils did sprouted, however, only few of them.
    *** If you cover the area with plastic you greatly increase survival rate, so much so that you will have to thin them out. Try it!!

My question is, because I scattered the seeds ON the soil surface, should I start with new batches of seeds or wait for them to come up? I've read that oregano and parsley are slow to germinate. I've watered the thoroughly now.
    ***Start a new batch! if you cover it the area with plastic you not only increase survival rate but you also decrease germination time!!!

Also, I know it's stupid but when I saw the dry soil I tried to look for the seeds but couldn't find even one in the place I put them on the soil.. What should I do now?
    ****Don't worry about the seeds, a squirrel or birds could have snacked on them. Proceed with new seeds.

*** two kinds of basil??? What kind are your trying? I had a hard time with lemon basil when i first started gardening... now i have more than i know what to do with! I hope you have this problem soon. Cheers!