Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flyonawall_gw

Growing lilies from seeds?

FLYONAWALL
17 years ago

Can anyone tell me if the seed pods from any lily can be grown; and, if so.....directions please. TIA Fly

Comments (8)

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    17 years ago

'Any lily' covers way too much territory. Germination requirements vary, may need moist chill or warm moist, followed by cold moist, followed by warm moist again - and may take anywhere from 2 weeks to over a year depending on which lily.

• pickwick
    17 years ago

see:American Lily Society website >(culture >propagation)

http://www.lilies.org/

(you may wish to inquire about a captan alternative, there...)

Here is a link that might be useful: am. lily soc.

• FLYONAWALL
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Morz8 It's a blackberry lily but I'd also like to know if you can grow a "stella dora or any "named" lily" or "unknown lily" from the seed pods that develop after the blossom disappears.
    Pickwick, thanks for the links, I'll check them out.
    My blackberry lily has so many seed pods on it and it's my first year growing and someone also told (after the fact) that I should have snapped off the seed pods or the blossom after it bloomed so all the energy goes into the plant and not into making the seed pods. I'm new at this and I appreciate everyone's response. Thanks!

• pickwick
    17 years ago

...you are welcomed ....you are dealing with a different family.... suggest Taxonomy of Vascular Plants (George H.M. Lawrence) combined with The Identification of Flowering Plant Families (P.H.. Davis and J. Cullens) along with reliable internet resources....

• pickwick
    17 years ago

...gosh ... same family of course....see how I am?

• pickwick
    17 years ago

good grief... The reason I frown upon colloquial names... It is a member of the Iridaceae ...please excuse...therefore you should refer to its specific propagation requirements .
    I'll laugh at this one

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    17 years ago

Blackberry lily are pretty straightforward and will self sow here (Z8) - Belamcanda chinensis , Surface sow at 68ºF, keep moist, germination slow

You can sow the seeds of daylily like Stella and may get some interesting flowers, but they don't come true to the parent from seed. Daylily - Hemerocallis hybrids, liliasphodelus, middendorffii, and minor , Sow under very thin cover (some light beneficial to germination) at 41ºF , germination irregular, often several months

• FLYONAWALL
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Wow! You people really know your stuff! I'm just a beginner and I can't even begin to speak your language.
    I've heard that you don't get a true flower from the seeds so I've wondered why on the seed forum people are asking for the seeds from lilies. hmmmmmmm I'll gladly give them away then; but since you don't get a true flower, I don't think I'd want to try it or even bother with it.
    Thank you for all your help!