Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Having trouble distinguishing Crape Myrtle Seeds and germinating

Posted by tkk82t 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 22, 11 at 9:32

Hi Guys!

I have a bit of a dilemma. My friend sent me some of her Crape Myrtle Seeds so I can grow some for myself as well.
Here is a picture of some of the bunch.(In the exact "packaging" she sent it to me.)

Photobucket

From my internet research I realized that these are in fact the seed pods ....and the fact that they are supposed to be brown before the seeds come out. Not knowing what to do, I put them in a wet coffee filter and put it in a plastic bag under sun. Does anyone know the correct/best way to help the germination process?

In Further inspection I came across what I consider an oddity (but probably common to non-newbies haha) As shown in the picture below,the roots seemed to come out of seed POD. Anyone know what that is about? And if I should put it in a cell pot.

Photobucket

Sorry If this is turning a little toward the long side. Anyway, Here are some other pictures the pods that might help you.
P.S. I'd be grateful for any advice you guys might want to share. Thanks again!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Having trouble distinguishing Crape Myrtle Seeds and germinat

Seeds can be killed by excess heat. All that was needed was for you put them in a brown paper bag left open and let them dry naturally. There is normally two seeds per hull. I always have several bags of different seeds, in the house drying at this time of year. My wife is not happy with that, but she tolerates it. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here