Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I start my seeds in the Fall?

Posted by jasminehearted 8 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 11, 12 at 10:57

Hello All,

I'm kind of a brown thumb but I'm trying very hard to change that! I ordered a bunch of seeds this week (I know late in the game) with the hope that I can plant them all in the garden next year. The seeds I've ordered are as follows:

Non-Stop� Mocca Pink Hybrid Begonia Seeds (Annual)
Maskotka Hybrid Tomato Seeds (Annual)
Cinderella Pink Lisianthus Flower Seeds (Perennial)
Mystic Merlin Blue-Purple Mallow Hollyhock Seeds (Perennial/Biennial)
Fantasia Mix Sweet Pea Seeds - (It's a dwarf container version) (Annual)
Aladdin Nautical Hybrid Mix Petunia Flower Seeds (Annual)
I also have some heirloom Spanish Peppers (Gernika?) from my Grandmother

I live in the warm Zone 8 and I have perfect locations picked out for the full plants come Spring. I know my last frost range is Feb 28-March 30th.

My question is, how soon can I start the seeds indoor? Can I start them in the Fall sometime and have fluffy little plants (not delicate seedlings) when March comes? Fall is a long comfortable season here in Costal Virginia, so I have probably about 2 months or more before the first frost.

I assume I should start the Annuals a little later than the perennials. I read somewhere that a few of these Perennials could even be put in the ground in fall and then still bloom in the Spring but I'm not sure how that works...

I've tried looking up each plant to get advice but there are so manny conflicting theories. I'm happy to put in a bit of effort and keep them under a light and fertilize as necessary. I have a little 36 slot greenhouse tray that I'll sterilize first. I only really need about 2-3 of each plant to germinate to fill in the areas I'm thinking of.

Any help would be welcome and greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I start my seeds in the Fall?

You could start the peppers & tomato now. Do you know that the tomato is a variety that will do well in the fall? I'm in zone 9 and some take too long to start producing and should be planted in the spring. You could also start the sweet peas now since they like cooler weather. Mine bloom throughout the winter and spring. Don't know about the others. Annuals are usually started in the spring, since they have a shorter growing season.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here