Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jasminehearted

Can I start my seeds in the Fall?

jasminehearted
11 years ago

Hello All,

I'm kind of a brown thumb but I'm trying very hard to change that! I ordered a bunch of seeds this week (I know late in the game) with the hope that I can plant them all in the garden next year. The seeds I've ordered are as follows:

Non-Stop� Mocca Pink Hybrid Begonia Seeds (Annual)

Maskotka Hybrid Tomato Seeds (Annual)

Cinderella Pink Lisianthus Flower Seeds (Perennial)

Mystic Merlin Blue-Purple Mallow Hollyhock Seeds (Perennial/Biennial)

Fantasia Mix Sweet Pea Seeds - (It's a dwarf container version) (Annual)

Aladdin Nautical Hybrid Mix Petunia Flower Seeds (Annual)

I also have some heirloom Spanish Peppers (Gernika?) from my Grandmother

I live in the warm Zone 8 and I have perfect locations picked out for the full plants come Spring. I know my last frost range is Feb 28-March 30th.

My question is, how soon can I start the seeds indoor? Can I start them in the Fall sometime and have fluffy little plants (not delicate seedlings) when March comes? Fall is a long comfortable season here in Costal Virginia, so I have probably about 2 months or more before the first frost.

I assume I should start the Annuals a little later than the perennials. I read somewhere that a few of these Perennials could even be put in the ground in fall and then still bloom in the Spring but I'm not sure how that works...

I've tried looking up each plant to get advice but there are so manny conflicting theories. I'm happy to put in a bit of effort and keep them under a light and fertilize as necessary. I have a little 36 slot greenhouse tray that I'll sterilize first. I only really need about 2-3 of each plant to germinate to fill in the areas I'm thinking of.

Any help would be welcome and greatly appreciated.

Comment (1)