Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cosmos huge. . . no blooms yet

Posted by maidinmontana 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 5, 06 at 12:47

I planted cosmo seeds on the west side of my house (direct sow) this spring, I also bought a few mature plants to give color until the others grew. Needless to say, the store bought ones are very short some didn't even survive, but the ones I grew from seed are the biggest I've ever seen in cosmos. They are over 3' tall and the stocks are probably 1 1/2" in diameter. I am quite impressed, but it is August and there are no blooms yet, not even any buds. I hope they do bloom, those seeds will definitley be a keeper.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cosmos huge. . . no blooms yet

What kind were the ones you planted from seed? I grow huge beds of cosmos and every year the Sulphur Cosmos are the last, and the tallest to bloom for me.....usually after all the others have faded away. The Sulphur Cosmos, such as Bright Lights have just started to bloom for me a couple of weeks ago here in Zone 8.
Alice

o

Common problem in good soil or with too much fertiliser. Cosmos do best in lean soil and even then you can expect some varieties to exceed three feet in height. Many of the named cultivars are bred as dwarfs, but where's the point in that :)

o

I didn't keep the seed packet with the info on it, darn it anyway, I thought a cosmo was a cosmo was a cosmo, wrong ! Oh well, I am happy with it and if it does bloom I will have some big comos next year, if not hopefully I will remember the packet when I see it or just read the back for the height. It is definitley in poor or "lean" soil not a lot of fertilizer, just a good ole gal I guess. Thanks.

o

I had some huge(6 ft. tall) cosmos bloom last fall after the first light frost. It was in a weedy area that had had some wildflower seed spread out over it a few years back. It took the name that plant forum to identify it because I have lots of cosmos sulfurus which is a completely different plant. (different type of flowers, different type of leave, different growing habits)

Here is the picture I submitted to the NTP forum:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I guess, just don't give up on them blooming yet.
JP

o

Cosmos bipinnatus is the big one and comes in a range of shades from white through pink to red. I think there are some doubles now too. Most hybrid cultivars will not grow to six feet but the species will.

o

I have the same problem as maininmontana. My cosmos are huge, almost 5.5 feet tall with no blooms. Strangely, one of the plants is blooming white flowers. I did fertilize the flower bed they are in and so it may be because of that. I distinctly remember reading on the seed packet the plant height as 3feet maximum, they may be bright lights (I am not positive about it). What should I do now, get rid of them, are is there hope for me. Thanks in advance.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here