Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenpassion

What to do with Datura seeds?

greenpassion
13 years ago

I have several large Datura's potted on my deck. These are the white upright ones, and their seed pods have begun to open up and drop seeds into the pot. First off, I thought that the seed pods weren't 'ripe' until they turned brown. These are still green, but definatly bursting open. So, I'd like to collect them, but I'm not sure what's the best way to do it. Should I pull off the green seed pods, wait to open them to get the seeds, or should I just try to collect the dropped seeds laying on the surface of the soil? Anyone out there have any experience with these plants?

Comments (8)

• dicot
    13 years ago

Are these the tree form, more commonly called brugmansia or angel's trumpet these days? Either way, the seed pods have the highest concentrations of the species' hallucinogenic alkaloids & dangerous toxins, so handle with care.

{{gwi:247767}}

• greenpassion
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for your reply dicot. Don't know if these are the tree form, but they are large. The flowers don't hang down is in your photo, they point upwards, like most regular flowers. They are rounder, huge, and white. They aren't 'trumphet' shaped, more like giant moon flowers, with pointed edges. The foliage has a wonderful scent of sugar cookies, and the flowers do too, only not as strong. The leaves are slightly fuzzy, with almost a blue greenish tint. I do know they are hallucinogenic, but how to handle them? I want to propagate from seed. ??

• sarahbarah27
    13 years ago

If you pick the seed pods and put them in a bag they will pop open on their own. My friend picked one off of one of my plants because she thought it looked cool, and wanted to show it to someone...she left it on her nightstand for a week or so and in the middle of the night it popped open. So I would try that. They also reseed very well, too well actually, in my gardens.

• eaglejohn1
    13 years ago

I usually leave them on the plant til they open and start to dry. Before planting I let them soak in water overnight.
    john

• msbatt
    13 years ago

Sounds like you have Datura wrightii, given the fragrance. I'd just watch and when you see a pod starting to open, cut it off an put it in a bag.

• lovingmygarden
    13 years ago

When my Datura seed pods get large and I think they are about ready I put an old knee high stocking around it to collect the seeds. That way they can stay on the bush until they are really ready to open.

• passiflorapond
    13 years ago

Collect as above and then do some seed swapping. Make a post over in the Brugmansia forums, many people there collect the 'Devil's trumpet' (Datura) along with Angel's trumpet (Brugmansia) You could get some lovely brugmansia and other seeds from the trades. :)

• Lee-Anne Clark
    6 years ago

I have been growing Angels Trumpet flowers in my yard in large garden boxes for years and I collect the pods as they fall, however, in the fall I just pinch off the pods wrap them up in a paper towel and store them in a paper bag over the winter. In the spring I just sprinkle the seeds around in the planter, feed and water regularly and them and let them go from there! I find that they're one of the easiest, hardiest seeds to plant! I've also had pods that didn't open up by spring so I just used a knife and sliced the pod in half to retrieve the seeds. The seeds are extremely toxic, they contain extremely potent hallucinogenic toxins so handle with care, wash hands after handling pods/seeds and keep away from kids & pets.

Happy planting!