Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unknown Plant

Posted by suzanne14613 New York (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 15, 13 at 14:39

Hello, I live in upstate NY and was given some seeds by a neighbor which I planted. According to the neighbor the plant was originally from Florida and we cannot find out what it is. It will only bloom once (as it is an annual) Can anyone tell me what plant this might be. It has a beautiful purple flower. I have attached a picture of the flower even though I do not think it has fully bloomed as yet. Please help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unknown Plant

A double, purple Datura.

o
RE: Unknown Plant

Hi suzanne and welcome to GardenWeb! That's a nice looking plant and the double purple flower is truly beautiful. I agree with florauk, it appears to be a Datura. Although a beauty, you really need to do a little research on the web regarding the toxicity of the plant; especially if you have small children or pets around. All parts of the plant are toxic if ingested.

I've grown Datura from seed every year, for the past four or five years (my kids are all grown and I have no pets). I've grown the white, purple, and yellow and love them all. The yellow datura flowers are often triples!

Art

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here