Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gibberellic Acid Solution?

Posted by FerocactusLatispinus Zone 4/Sunset 43 WI (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 8, 12 at 15:22

Does anyone know a safe ratio of gibberellic acid (grams/liter) for use on cactus seeds? I have one gram of the powder. I plan on using this on some Opuntia ficus-indica seeds. I don't want to get too concentrated a solution, because that'll harm the seeds. If I have it too low, it won't have any effect. This much I have gathered about its effects (If I'm wrong please correct me).

Hopefully someone will be able to give me a ratio safe for use on cactus seeds in general.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gibberellic Acid Solution?

I guess I'll just use the gram in a gallon of water. I suppose that's diluted enough. Hm, with my luck at germinating cactus seeds, that'd probably etiolate and kill the whole batch of seedlings.

Ah well, I might as well give it a shot. What I don't use, I will spray on the dead patches on my lawn. :)

o

While I don't know the right proportions of Gibberellic acid to use, I do know that you may be able to coerce your cactus seeds to germinate with the effects of GA using electricity applied to the soil in which it grows.

o

That's shocking!
It sounds very unusual and interesting, and I'll have to look into it.
Thank you!

I just found that most users will add one gram of GA per one liter of water, but some just halve the gram. So, I think just treating half of the batch of seeds in a gram per a gallon for a day or two might be safe enough.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here