Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stratification vs Scarification

Posted by docmattman 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 2, 12 at 16:33

I understand the difference between stratification and scarification. Scarification seems to be pretty quick and easy. I was wondering if you can scarify a seed INSTEAD of stratifying it, or do you need to always stratify the seed first? So if I scarify a seed can I skip the long stratification process or do I have to do the stratifying process in addition?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stratification vs Scarification

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 2, 12 at 21:24

In a word, No :) It's not quite that easy, if you scarify or do something to allow moisture to breach the seed coat (sometimes simple like an overnight soak), it's still not a rule that all seeds will respond by germinating.

Nature is complex, and the mechanisms that trigger germination more complicated than that seed coat. Seeds don't germinate naturally in the wrong place at the wrong time, conditions must be right for the survival of the plant.

That can be a dry periods before moisture is introduced, a prolonged chill that would mimic a damp winter, fire for some prairie plants seeds, how it is dispersed from the plant (does it float or blow away, is it eaten by birds and rodents) - many different things. Sometimes considering the origin of the seed, the type of plant that produced it and the environment of its natural 'homeland' gives the clues as to what is needed for germination. In other words, best is to look up each seed, proceed from there with the suggestions that have worked most often for others.

o
RE: Stratification vs Scarification

Yea, I pretty much assumed that the easy way wouldn't work. I just thought I'd make sure. Thanks for the info...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here