Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I save seed from my lisianthus?

Posted by crispyrice 6 (Pittsburgh) (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 12, 09 at 18:20

I've got some lisianthus which I bought as plants this year, and I was wondering if it's possible to save seeds from them for next year. Any help with details on how to go about this would be appreciated! :D I've never saved seeds before.

I've seen lots of threads about starting lisianthus from seed - and I know they take a long time. (Mine even took a long time to bloom even though I bought them as plants this spring.) My question really is how to get the seeds from my flowers - how to recognize them, harvest them, what to do with them until they can be planted...

One another thought - is it possible (or even better) to dig up the lisianthus, put them in pots, and keep them inside over the winter? I've read a couple threads that indicate they are perennials and would keep going next year.

Thanks for any help! :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I save seed from my lisianthus?

Here you go I hope this helps you. Just keep in mind that if your plant is a hybrid then it will not be true to seed. You may get something entirely different or you may get something close to what you planted, that just depends on how many variations were used to create the existing plant.

Oh and I found this link by searching lisianthus plant.

Here is a link that might be useful: lisianthus

o
RE: Can I save seed from my lisianthus?

Wow, that is a great link! Thanks so much, countrycarolyn! :)

I think I'm going to try both - digging them up to keep inside over the winter and growing some more from seed. We'll see what I get in the spring.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here