Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
seed viability

Posted by carogator 8-SC (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 16, 10 at 18:24

Does anyone have info or advice on using seeds from an immature watermelon? Has anyone ever tried it? Thanks for any help. I'm a Newbie.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: seed viability

Seeds from an immature watermelon would be immature too.

Have you ever watched peas grow--being a newbie probably not so I'll tell you.
They start out with just the pod and a tiny, tiny nub where the pea will grow. That little nub grows into an edible pea but it is still not a viable seed. The pod has to get brown and the peas get old before they are ready to grow into a plant.

It is the same with any plant. The seed has to be very mature before it is ready to grow. With melons and those plants that grow their seeds inside, it has to be very ripe.

As to saving seeds at all--if you are going to go that route you should use heritage varieties. Hybrid plants seldom come true to form--grow a plant that is like the plant you took the seed from. Heritage varieties do because they are open pollinated varieties.

Good luck and welcome to the world of gardening

o
RE: seed viability

Thanks for the information, I didn't get a full grown melon and these seeds were real expensive.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here