Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seedling growth slowing post-transfer

Posted by pschwartz CA (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 10, 14 at 18:48

Forgive the novice question; I am relatively new to gardening. I grew a bunch of veggies/herbs from seed and most of them did well, grew to seedlings within a few weeks. At around week 4, I transferred them to a big planter box (about 9x5) and since the transfer (about 3 weeks ago), several of the seedlings have slowed down almost completely. The broccoli, in particular, looks like it's about to die and hasn't grown at all. I have onions, thyme, oregano, rosemary, lettuce & spinach as well. And all have pretty much shown 0 growth. The soil mix was 50% topsoil & 50% organic compost. Am I missing some key nutrients?

I live in Oakland so the temps have been consistent. They get excellent sun.

Thanks for any insights/advice you can offer.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seedling growth slowing post-transfer

It doesn't sound like your planting medium is good for container gardening. The topsoil and compost holds too much moisture and is effectively drowning the plants. You will need to look into a "potting" mixture.

Second a majority of what you listed are 'cool' weather crops (you can google that) and will do better in the spring and fall before it gets really hot.

Good luck

SCG

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here