Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lullabyf360

Free seed websites??

LullabyF360
10 years ago

Any body know of any websites that give away seeds for postage? Gardenhoard.com & wintersown.org are the only two that I am aware of.

Comments (8)

• yiorges-z5il
    10 years ago

the seed exchange at "garden Web" also includes SOME free seed

• homegroan
    10 years ago

A quick Google search found this:
    http://frugalliving.about.com/od/save-money-on-plants/tp/How-To-Get-Free-Seeds.htm

Request Free Seeds from WinterSown.org
    Forget fancy light table set ups. Visit WinterSown.org to learn how to start your seeds outdoors in the winter, and they'll send you six free packets of seeds that are appropriate for winter sowing in your area.

To Get Your Seeds: You'll need to complete a quiz on the site. Once you get to the end of the quiz, there will be a page with instructions on how to get your free seeds.

Then it links to Garden web :)

• bugbite
    10 years ago

I know I am way detouring from your question, please forgive me. But I like to exchange seeds because you can potentially get proven winners from peoples garden if you ask for them. But what if you don't have any seeds to trade? One way is to go to a "wholesaler" type seed seller, like Geoseed.com
    Anyone can buy from them. Pick 2+ types of seeds that people should want. Then purchase 1000+ seeds for extremely good prices. (Example: 5000 Genovese Basil seeds are $4.15; lemon basil 5000 seeds for $3.00, Petunia Celebrity 1000 for $4.20) Split the seeds up into 50 seeds per pac and trade them. The Genovese seeds will have a cost of about 4 cents.
    I accidentally did this last year when I ended up with an extra amount seeds on a really good, new zinnia. I sure got some nice trades that way. In return the traders that I traded with hopefully got to try fresh seeds from a new variety of Zinnia. It's better to have more than one variety to trade because traders can be very generous, plus the postage cost issue.

This post was edited by bugbite on Tue, Sep 10, 13 at 9:47

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    10 years ago

I went to the site, bugbite, but it's really only for professional growers, and I can't lie. Not in me.

• bugbite
    10 years ago

Hi Desertdance,
    They are the nicest people at Geoseed. If they ask if you resell the seeds, just say, "No I am a home gardener". No lying required :-).
    And by the way it doesn't say "only for professional growers". The site says they " provide professional seed services to growers". But they provide professional seed services to you, too. Not excluding you.
    The professional part means that the packages have a large amount of seeds. So if you can use a lot of seeds you're good.
    Dora has been there forever and ever and she "knows seeds" and she is easy to talk, too. That's part of their "professional" service.
    I have used them for years. Sometimes I order many types of seeds. Sometimes, like the other day, I order two types of seeds.
    Once I went to the trade forum here and asked if anyone was interested in getting seeds from Geoseed and splitting. 4 other people agreed. We decided an amount. Each ordered their pick and we split them 5 ways. Tried some seeds that I never thought I would buy. It was fun.
    If I want their catalogue that is easy to use, I find the PDF to download. Although I am now on their mailing list.
    That's another "professional" thing, the catalogue has no pictures. Packages have no growing instructions; you have to know what you are doing or look the plant up like I do often. Plus if I fail with a seed I don't good back for a refund. It is my fault. But the prices are way, way less then the guys with fancy catalogues.
    Incidentally Geo stands for George Parks. When he sold Parks Seed Co., he started this company many years ago.

This post was edited by bugbite on Wed, Sep 11, 13 at 21:50

• AT2013
    10 years ago

Desert, if you just google "bulk herb seeds" you should find some online retailers selling herb seeds or vegetable seeds. I buy my bulk from American Meadows.

• naturemitch
    10 years ago

Geoseed all the way! They are my go to seed source. Reasonable shipping, excellent choices, and great seed. Try them!

• naturemitch
    10 years ago

Geoseed all the way! They are my go to seed source. Reasonable shipping, excellent choices, and great seed. Try them!