Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Harvesting colius seed

Posted by AachenElf z5 Mpls, MN (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 21, 05 at 19:19

OK, I have not cut back the flowers on my Kong Colius because I would like to save seed. I believe these do grow true from seed. So far, there are these green seed-like pods, but they never seem to turn dark like I would imagine. Will they? When do you havest the seed on these plants?

Thanks

Kevin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Harvesting colius seed

Coleus seeds are relatively easy to collect as the pods begin to turn brown. I hold my left palm under the seed stalk and gently rub the flower pods. The seeds obtained are easy to recognize as they look exatly like seeds.

After I collect a few seeds I plant them in a small container. With watering, they sprouted in less than a week. I overwinter them inside. The seedlings that sprouted are true, as you said.

o

Thank you. So they will turn brown eventually.

o

I grew Kong Colius from seeds. The leaves were huge, as advertised but they only grew 6" high. What happened?
Dale949

o

Dale

The Kong seed I harvested turned out to be good and the plants all came true which was nice. I did noticed that mine really took a long time to do anything. Like yours, the leaves were huge, but the plants only topped out at maybe 12 inches by the end of the summer compared to other colius which grew huge. I'm not sure I'm even going to plant many of the Kongs this year. They're nice, but other varieties seem to be better performers.

Kevin

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here