Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Good perennial for indoors fall-spring and later outdoors?

Posted by melissa2006 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 6, 12 at 19:47

We live in the Denver area and have a 4' dual T8 tube light over a shelf in the living room, which I use for sprouting seeds in peat pots in the spring.

But the light is kind of minimal for growing anything on a long term basis. I don't know if it's the spectrum of the tubes in there, or whether T8 tubes just don't put out that much light. ( doesn't anyone make "Gro Lite" spectrum
tubes anymore? )

But I was wondering if there was some kind of perennial that I could sprout from seed, or get from a nursery, that would green up the room from fall to spring, and then I could plant outside? Maybe I could do a row of them under
that light. But the would have to be something that could survive from September to around late May, without a whole lot of light.

Anything green and perhaps pretty, for this?

Suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Good perennial for indoors fall-spring and later outdoors?

There are a lot of house plants which would fit the bill. Common and easy ones would be spider plants (Chlorophytum comosum), Begonia rex varieties, Aspidistras, Anthuriums. I grow all these on an underground basement windowsill without additional lighting throughout our dull winters. Many house plant growers summer their charges out of doors. Try the House Plant Forum for further suggestions.

o

Looks like spider plants are tropical. And when I click that House Plant Forum link, all I get is a popup ad for diapers.

o

Spider Plants, and my other suggestions, are all tender perennials but they survive fine outdoors in the summer. Obviously they have to go back inside in the Autumn, but that was what you asked for. I didn't give a link to the House Plant Forum. The highlighted word 'house'is a pop up advert of the type which plagues these forums. The correct link is below. But I see you have already posted there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Houseplant Forum

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here